Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tiger|East Canyon|3/1/15
Took my nephew to east canyon and caught these all on the complex worm & marshmallow fishing from shore.
[signature]
Nice
[signature]
Nice Tiger Gumbyk, looks like you and your nephew had a good day. Glad to see there are a few tigers left in EC, sure don't hear of many being caught there.
[signature]
I didn't know there were any tigers in East Canyon.
[signature]
They have been in there for many years, you just don't hear about many people catching them
[signature]
That's one nice tiger for sure I've never pulled one out of there as well those are some fat bows. Great job and keep it up [cool].
[signature]
nice tiger! Ive been looking for that guy (girl, i mean).. seen a few caught. dont know if theres many left.
[signature]
Dandy male tiger. I'll bet those 'bows will taste alot better than that tiger though! The males look good, but taste rank.
[signature]
My 1st pursuit of Tiger Trout was at East Canyon. In 5 years I have never caught a single tiger at EC. Great job on them man!

[quote brookieguy1]Dandy male tiger. I'll bet those 'bows will taste alot better than that tiger though! The males look good, but taste rank.[/quote]

Don't trust BG1, he might just be a little bias against tiger trout in general.[Wink]If I could change his username right now I'd re-name him Tigerguy1 since he loves them so much.[Tongue][Tongue]
[signature]

Funny, I was going to ask about their place as table fare after I read BG's post. I've never eaten a tiger but have heard they are as delicious as they are beautiful.
[signature]
Thanks for report and pictures.

The DWR hasn't stocked them since 2008 according to their stocking reports so it's at least 7 years old. They put in a bunch of tigers between 2005 and 2008 and then stopped for some reason. There ought to be some biguns in there if folks haven't already taken them home.

BTW I'm not sure where Brookie got his information on the tigers quality on the table but as long as he thinks that there will be that many more of them for the rest of us to eat.[Wink]
[signature]
I have to disagree with BG1 on this one, on two counts (sorry, Dave).

1. I don't think that's a male. I've caught myself thinking I had males from the nice color, but then I realize that they're not. A white belly is a good indicator, but not perfect.

2. Tigers with white bellies have some of the best trout meat out there, after brookies. Even big ones.

(BTW - NICE CATCH!)
[signature]
[quote LOAH]I have to disagree with BG1 on this one, on two counts (sorry, Dave).

1. I don't think that's a male. I've caught myself thinking I had males from the nice color, but then I realize that they're not. A white belly is a good indicator, but not perfect.

2. Tigers with white bellies have some of the best trout meat out there, after brookies. Even big ones.

(BTW - NICE CATCH!)[/quote]I agree, LOAH, now that I tilt my screen differently, it does look like a female.....BUT....all mature male tiger trout I have eaten have been tan-fleshed and foul. Those big, pink meated females are indeed nearly as palatable as the esteemed and delectable brook trout.
[signature]
[quote TyeDyeTwins]My 1st pursuit of Tiger Trout was at East Canyon. In 5 years I have never caught a single tiger at EC. Great job on them man!

[quote brookieguy1]Dandy male tiger. I'll bet those 'bows will taste alot better than that tiger though! The males look good, but taste rank.[/quote]

Don't trust BG1, he might just be a little bias against tiger trout in general.[Wink]If I could change his username right now I'd re-name him Tigerguy1 since he loves them so much.[:p][:p][/quote]
Don't trust BG1, he might just be a little bias against tiger trout in general.[Wink]If I could change his username right now I'd re-name him Tigerguy1 since he loves them so much.[:p][:p] I think my distaste for tiger trout is almost as well known as my dislike of cutthroats. [pirate]
[signature]
[quote brookieguy1] I think my distaste for tiger trout is almost as well known as my dislike of cutthroats. [pirate][/quote]

You do remember those nasty tigers are half brookie right?[sly]
[signature]
[quote TyeDyeTwins][quote brookieguy1] I think my distaste for tiger trout is almost as well known as my dislike of cutthroats. [pirate][/quote]

You do remember those nasty tigers are half brookie right?[sly][/quote]Yes. I just wish the other half was brook trout!
I don't know what has caused me to lose total interest in tiger trout, but I have. I would much rather catch a large splake. At least splake can happen naturally and are two char species crossed.
[signature]
Tiger trout do also happen naturally....albeit where one of the two parent species has artificially been stocked.
http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactSheet...ciesID=933
[signature]
[quote brookieguy1][quote TyeDyeTwins][quote brookieguy1] I think my distaste for tiger trout is almost as well known as my dislike of cutthroats. [pirate][/quote]

You do remember those nasty tigers are half brookie right?[sly][/quote]Yes. I just wish the other half was brook trout!
I don't know what has caused me to lose total interest in tiger trout, but I have. I would much rather catch a large splake. At least splake can happen naturally and are two char species crossed.[/quote]

I too have noticed your dislike of tigers... I was really big on them at first but I am not as obsessed as I used to be. Still love them though, one of my favorite species. Brookies and browns are both very cool species of fish... seeing a cross between the two is interesting to say the least.

Tigers can be insanely "aggressive" and their appetite amazes me. I love how fast they grow and how big they can get,.... their colors can be amazing. They are great fish to stock (splake too for same reason) because they clean up trash fish so well and since they can't reproduce their numbers can be managed easily.

With that said though, one in about every 10 tiger trout I catch kind of looks a little off or odd. When you cross link two species (in this case char with a trout!) you end up with some mutations and some odd-balls. I think these occasional fish detract from the species as a whole....but they are a pretty neat fish.
[signature]
[quote wormandbobber]Tiger trout do also happen naturally....albeit where one of the two parent species has artificially been stocked.
[url "http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactSheet.aspx?speciesID=933[/quote]"]http://nas.er.usgs.gov/...eciesID=933[/quote][/url]
That's what I mean. Tiger trout only happened when a non-native species was put in the equation. Brown trout.
Splake have always happened naturally. In fact, many of the large brook trout records are questioned as being possible natural splake, since lake trout and brook trout both are native to those same waters.
Brown trout never ran in the same neighborhood as brook trout 'till man made it happen. Stinkin' browns. JUST KIDDING! I quite like brown trout.
[signature]