Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake 3/7/15
I was able to get out for a couple hours Saturday afternoon and fish the jetty on north beach. What a perfect day for the first weekend in March. The fishing was slow, but the temperature was so warm I just sunned myself on the rocks. I was able to fend off the skunk with this pup mackinaw.
Needing a bit more action I headed up one of the canyons on the Idaho side and caught and released a dozen little brookies and cuts.
The lake was smooth as glass most of the weekend and I was cursing myself for not bringing the boat with this trip. With DST and an hour longer of sunshine this week I am going to have to try an afternoon trip to Lost Creek or East Canyon.
[signature]
I think that's a cutthroat. Really pretty fish!
[signature]
You may be right. He did not have the distinctive cutthroat or other coloration I am used to, but I usually catch them in the streams in warmer weather. Either way he is still swimming. [cool]
[signature]
I can tell he doesn't have deep colored cuts. But the dark spots is what makes me think he is a cut.

Like I said before it is a beautiful fish though. I love the light colors the fish up there develop.
[signature]
They were right it is a native Cutt good thing you let it go. Nice job from the bank it's not easy to come by fish on Bear Lake. Later J
[signature]
I agree cutty and a native at that, good job catching it from shore, that is tough to do for most of us. Now, about those brookies, any size to them or were they small, like in 6 or 7" or small like 10 to 12"? I haven't caught any of those fish for years and I didn't know the streams in that area even had them, thanks for the info.
[signature]
The little cutthroats and brookies were all in the 6-7 inch range. It was good to see that the spawning cutts have some viable offspring for coming years. I fish a couple of the creeks pretty regularly during the summer and most seem to hold brookies, though they never seem to grow to much size.
This time of year there are seasonal closures so options are limited.
[signature]
Yes, I remember you talking about that last year, if I remember correctly about the closures. It seems brookies never attain any size in smaller streams but in larger streams I have caught them up to 12 or 13". Lakes are where they grow the largest from my limited experience. Other might disagree though but that is what I have seen around here.
[signature]