Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost Creek- ice breaking, deer rescue and movie set
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Calibri"]We journeyed up to Lost Creek after hearing that the ice had finally cleared. Not exactly true. The area between the boat ramp and the main body was still iced in, with the west side of the channel being a fairly solid inch of ice, and the east side being about ¾ of an inch of slushy mess. We decided to launch and upon examination of the east side decided that it was soft enough that we could motor through with the old ’66 Larson’s thick aluminum hull. Made it through with no problem at all. [/font]
[font "Calibri"]The fishing was slow, only picked up a couple of nice 17” cutts on the eastern arm of the reservoir along the mouth of one of the canyons that opens to the north. After that brief success the sun dipped behind the hillside and we decided that it was time to head back to the ramp. Slowing down to traverse the ridge that runs from the bank to the island (was about 4’ at the shallowest point where we crossed) we noticed a deer venturing out from the steep bank on the west side of the channel. About the time that I said “what the hell is he thinking” his hind legs dropped through the ice and he was in the drink. He tried to kick himself back out to no avail. [/font]
[font "Calibri"] After a couple of minutes of watching this as we got closer, we decided a rescue was in order. The ice on the west side was the shortest distance to the deer, but the ice was too thick to motor through. We pulled an end around and were able to get through to the other side of him. Now was the hard part. We gained a head of steam and rammed through the ice, then reversed back to open water, gaining about 5 feet at a time. After about 10 attempts we had reached the spot where the deer had kicked open, but the deer had reversed course, being frightened by the outboard no doubt. So we doubled back around and headed directly at him from east to west, rocking the boat back and forth to get enough momentum to complete a full track through the ice, pushing the deer through the channel we had broken and back into the open water. Once he hit the open water he swam in the wrong direction and we had to herd him to the bank. He reached the bank, stumbled once or twice, he then leaped up the hillside like nothing in the world had happened. During this last section we were able to get a closer look at him and realized he was a mature male that had just recently lost his antlers, as evidence by the large round bumps and hair tufts on the top of his head. (hopefully good karma for the upcoming hunts)[/font]
[font "Calibri"] [/font]
[font "Calibri"]The boat held up like a champ. No damage other than some very minor scratches to the hull. They built them tough back in the day. I will admit that there was a certain amount of risk involved, but we understood and were prepared for things going south, and were not about to risk life and limb to rescue an animal. Thankfully it did not come to the point that we had to make that decision. I am not sure if we did any good clearing the ice out for future boating, but it must have had a bit of an impact.[/font]
[font "Calibri"] [/font]
[font "Calibri"]On the drive out we were surprised by another unforeseen encounter. There were about a dozen semis and camp trailers at the head of the dam. We stopped briefly and spoke with one of the guys. Apparently they were the support crew for Buena Vista and they will be filming a movie up there this morning. No clue what sort of movie it is, but Buena Vista is a division of Disney. [/font]
[font "Calibri"]All in all a pretty exciting first trip for the boating season. I can’t wait for the next one. [/font]
[signature]
Wow, that was quite an adventure, even if the catching was slow, it sounds like it was an exciting trip. Too bad you did not get the deer rescue on video, that would have been something special. Years ago we were ice fishing at strawberry and saw a filming crew at chichen creek west, we decided to talk to them and found out they were filming the first part of the movie, National Treasure. I'm really surprised the ice is still hanging on there, as warm as it has been.
[signature]
I agree the deer rescue would have been cool. My hands were a little full running the outboard. Another excuse to invest in a GoPro I guess.
[signature]
LOL, that was exactly what I was thinking, a GoPro would be the way to go for sure.
[signature]
Nice! I love when the movies are filming in Salt Lake, $30-$50 an hour part time and they feed you like a king [Smile]
[signature]