Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2015 Catfish Challenge Gaardvark
Northern Team
25.5 inches
3/17/15
Channel Cat
Cutler reservoir
Thought it may be hard to tell, photo was taken at the lake, on the boat ramp just after sundown.

[#005000]That works. Nice cat, good start.
25.5 pts
[/#005000]
Nice kitty
[signature]
Nice job!!! J
[signature]
Only got the one today, but this early in the season, I am still going to score it.

24.5 inches
3/21/15
Channel Cat
Cutler reservoir

There was a pretty constant breeze today, so I was rowing non-stop for most of our time, to make the marina before dark. This caused me to miss any number of 36" channel cats that were too lazy to chase the bait and eat it.

[#008000]Thanks for the conditions report. Danged 4-letter "W"!
Like your thinnin' though!
24.5 pnts
[/#008000]
Nice Cat ! Guess maybe I may put off the home repair work this Sunday and head back to Cutler.[Wink]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
24"
4/22/15
Channel Cat
Cutler reservoir

The only bite of the day. Not a monster, but figured at this point it was still worth scoring. Caught on a nightcrawler on a jighead under a bobber. Nearly took my rod in when it hit.
[#008000]
I'm torn, should I even mark this? Was gonna say, "there's your THREE", but ya done blew it right off the board already.

24 pnts
[/#008000]
Cast a line out in the creek after dinner. Caught a 26"er.
Should replace the latest 24".

26"
5/1/15
Channel Cat
Spring Creek, south end of Cutler marsh
caught it on a carp chunk

[#008000]making it hard on me with this one. Tip of the fish, end of the tape, plus the numbers in between are a bit rough to see, but I think I've got it, and we'll call it good at:
26 pnts
[/#008000]
I bow to your graciousness CoyoteSpinner. The picture was after dark, and I was in a hurry to get him turned back.

I blew a half inch yesterday. I thought my low fish was 25, and caught two that size yesterday. Didn't get measured photos, so no score. Took my boy out with me, and he scored a very nice fish. Have to show him how to post this morning.
[signature]
Figured a storm brewing often makes for good fishing, so I had to try. It paid off so far. This is my biggest to date.

5/14/15
Cutler Marsh
Channel Cat
27 solid inches (couldn't quite stretch it to 27.5)
Caught on carp
Set her free
[#008000]
Like BLK said - that one's got some girth!
Nice fish.
27 pnts
[/#008000]
Looks like she just ate a football. Very nice cat.

BLK
[signature]
Thanks

It seems to me that every cat I have caught this year has had a good size belly. I have been throwing back the biggest ones, so I can't really say whether they were full of eggs, though I suspect that of this one. I caught a 19" cat Thursday night and filleted it. It also had a large belly, though I was surprised not to see any eggs in that one. Instead, it had a very full stomach, though I couldn't identify the contents right away. Lighting was poor and the smell was unpleasant, so I just finished up and got rid of it.
I can say that with some teriyaki sauce on the grill, catfish made for a great lunch today.
[signature]
6/4/15
Cutler Marsh
Channel Cat
28 inches

Can't read the BFT tag on the clearest measurement. Took it out of the bag, lined up the shot and then the fish wouldn't be still. I think the attached pics still show it all right.

[#005000]Second pic is spot on. Works for me.
28 pnts
[/#005000]
It has been a long summer without posting any fish. The last couple of times I have fished for cats, I have had a single good bite.
The first I pulled out of a snag and still had the fish long enough to determine it was good size, then it broke the line as I went for the net.
The second never got to a snag, but simply fought for a minute on some older 20# line, then decided it was time to go and the line snapped.
Tonight I checked my line, checked my drag, and threw out a chunk of carp and a piece of squid on the two lines respectively. The squid got attention right away,
but nothing big enough to get a mouth around it.
I did get a good fish on the carp though. I mark it at 27.5 inches. Not the biggest in the contest, but enough to bump my score a little.
I also had to take a 10" mudcat off the carp rod after the big fish.

Caught 9/24/15
Channel Cat
Cutler Marsh
27.5 inches
Team North

[#005000]Sounds like some good bites. And a nice catch, it does bump a 26, so nice "up" to your total.
27.5 pnts

Now I just gotta get my graph updated!
[/#005000]