Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2015 Utah Catfish Contest - Stickleback
This is my first cat. I am sure this won't count for much but I need to practice this posting thing. I just went to a smart phone and now I realize how dumb I am. So this is just to see if I can figure this out. I know that i am giving up an inch because of the way I placed on the tape. Just looking for some feed back on what you would score it at. I know it was 22". Again this is a practice run my feelings won't get hurt.

Utah Lake on 4/3

[#008000]It's a nice fish, and pretty good picture, but yes, can only mark based on what I see, and that falls at 21".
Some good suggestions, well, except Mr Whiskers! You CAN pinch the tail, as described in the Utah Guide. Better to back out some on the picture, get both ends of the ruler, then you can crop later if you want. But sometimes helps if I can see more numbers. Glare/shadow can reek havoc on a photo.

21 pnts
[/#008000]

PS: I changed your title. Add your future entries to this thread as replies.
And once I edit/score your entry, consider it "locked" - you can reply if you've got more to add.
I see I did not get the first photo in. Better get with my kids on this.
[signature]
Nice.... not really a monster but a good start.

Note: If you stretch the whiskers forward on the nose you can pick up 3-4 more inches. [Wink]

I was out Sat. too and it was slow. The water temp dropped back down to 49-50 degrees from 55 degrees before the cold front. Bring on the warmer weather and keep those cats coming.

The best is yet to come.

BLK
[signature]
That's how you get the big ones is using the whiskers, now I know how it's done. Stickleback one comment is framing the picture so your full measurement scale shows so you can get full credit. They will only give what they can see. Nice fish way to start. Later J
[signature]
Thanks for all the tips. I knew that my fish would not be a contender. I just wanted to see if I had all the information i needed to get a score. So mission a accomplished. Given my techi abilities I have come a long way.

When you are wrestling with the beast is not the time you want to learn how to zoom, focus, check the lighting, and save and all that other nonsense that your kids make look easy. Not that this is the beast but it would have been a real bummer it would have been 30" and I gave up an inch because of my angle. (Okay no laghing it could happen. Even a broken watch is right twice per day.)
[signature]
Hey one thing you have done is helped your team move closer to the north on team score... Unofficially I have North 169 South 100.5..... Which beats the 79 that team south was... Nice job... J
[signature]
LI got into some cats Saturday night on UL. I landed 7 unfortunately the wee all between 18 and 20" except for 1 at 22. We will see what the judge says. It's nothing to brag about but I am submitting it in an effort to bump up the Southern score. This pic should be better than th last one. (I practiced whith an old pair of shoes, they don't move as much.)

[#008000]
22 works. I was seeing double visiton there for a minute, almost gave you 44! (haha)
I guess you're old sneakers aren't as powerful as my son's. I could swear they DO move on their own!
[/#008000]
I was on UL this morning again at about 0700 and landed a couple in the low 20's and and this one I tried to stretch to 25 and that may have cost me a score all together. I am not sure you can even score it and I would not feel bad at all. The catfish photo shoot tends to be tougher than than the catchin. If you look real close you can see the end of the tape at the corner of the mouth. If that doesn't work I have the white tape where you can see the marks as well but you would have to do the math yourself. No wait let me do it for you. The total is 31.5.😁
[#008000] Is that an exponential equations?[/#008000]

Once again no score no problem. I wanted a 25 inch fish and it wasn't, I am hoping for a 24.5, will be happy just to have posted the picture. With my photo history I am going to need a 32 just to score a 30. He's out there.

[#008000]You're good at 24.5. Unless the tail were pinched and stretched - I don't see 25, but as you say, the end of the tape is visible at the corner of the mouth. I can go with that.
24.5 pnts
[/#008000]
I hit Utah Lake on 7-19 was on the water at 4am it sure was beautiful. I landed several cats but only got one worth posting for the contest. I landed this one about 10am. I hope the judges can score it a 26.

[#005000]nice bump on your score. Knock that 21 off, and there you have it.
Jeff might be right about my green envy, but at least your fishing, and catching.
26 pnts
[/#005000]
Nice catch, now I know it's 26", but Yote may be stingy since that bounces you ahead of him on the contest board... Good job... Later J
[signature]
I landed this one at Utah lake Tuesday (very early). A little more than 25 1/2 inches. I hope the picture shows that. I have decided that I will be thrilled just to get back to the top ten by the end of season unless I can find a way for the catfish gods to Smile upon me a few times.

[#005000]Well, Jeff is more generous that me. Might have been able to stretch it with a pinch, but what shows is what shows, and it's a good solid...
25.5 pnts
[/#005000]
Nice Fish, Looks like 26" to me but I like to stretch them... I'm putting it as 26" until Yote corrects me on the unofficial score... Good job even if you are for the other side... Later J
[signature]