Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Streamers and Rainbows at the Gorge...
Thanks to some good Intel from a couple of guys here I headed up to the Gorge today and got some work done, I fished a Black Marabou bugger with an Orange bead, waded the flat at the Sheep Creek inlet and got tight with some nice fish...wind was insane!
[signature]
Looks like a great time. I always get distracted by the Green when I head that way and pass over the gorge. The bows and smallies have been tempting me more and more.
[signature]
Ya, I usually only fish the Green once a year in spring, other water to hit once the crowds hatch. I will be there in a couple of weeks.
[signature]
Nice work Remo. I love that spot, and 200 yards both ways from it!
Was the water murky or was it from the wading?
[signature]
The river channel was murky right at the inlet, drove past the creek on the way out and it is clear, the bay is pretty clear, not a lot of run off.
[signature]
Did you see all the big spawners in the creek ? Stoped by there on Thursday for a while on our way to the c section , caught a few nice rainbows. Spent 3 days down on the C section , but it was slow for us this year. So we headed back today and hit lacern boat ramp area and killed the bows there. Pic is of the average size, We caught 40+ in about 4 hours there. Fun day today
[signature]
Ya, saw the ones in the creek, that was cool.
[signature]
Looks like a lot of fun! It sure looked busy down there as we drove by on the way to the green! I should try that sometime, but it's hard to change what you're used too and try new water and tactics!
[signature]
No one fishing where we were at, a few guys fishing the creek, I bet most of the crowd you saw were guys that were camping and then took their boats to the launch.
[signature]
Here's the fly that was getting it done, I had no Orange beads at home and no time to go get any so I raided my wife's craft room and found the only orange beads I could, they were big, I had to put a tungsten bead in front to keep them from slipping over the eye, tied them on a size 6 hook and to me when I fished them it looked like a small leech had picked up a large egg and the trout were making him pay for his greed!!
[signature]
[quote remo_5_0]

...I had no Orange beads at home and no time to go get any so I raided my wife's craft room and found the only orange beads I could...

[/quote]

Nice improv skills! [Wink]

And nice fish too! Egg-sucking Leech, great pattern.
[signature]
I just won't tell her....[Wink]
[signature]
Those are some great bows! I love the gorge. Until recently I've always just done spinner fishing and trolling, but I've been doing more and more fly fishing lately. We hit the green on easter weekend and it was awesome, despite the wind. I've really been wanting to get into streamers, but I don't really know anyone that does it and every time I try chucking them I strike out. How do you fish them, if you don't mind me asking?
[signature]
I was fishing them on a fast sinking line, fishing a deep channel I would let it sink to the bottom (I think) then very slow and short strips, just kind of bouncing it along the bottom, other times I would not let it sink as far, just kept working all levels of the water column but most hook ups were letting it sink.
[signature]
That's awesome, thank you for the info. Again, great job on the fish. Do you ever use them in rivers? It seems like every time I ask somebody how to use them on a river I get a different response, which obviously means there's more than one way to do it... It just seems that what ever way I'm trying is unsuccessful.
[signature]
Once in awhile I throw them in rivers, just on my floating line. Just another method, I usually have decent success in rivers with streamers but usually doing ok nymphing or dry fly fishing that I don't fish streamers as much but I know a lot of guys who swear by them, just preference I guess.
[signature]
Great report. Looks like fun!!
[signature]
Thanks! Was a very good day [Smile]
[signature]
Way to get er done. Do you know if the rivers or creeks are closed to fishing yet?

humpy
[signature]
I think that is just for the salmon run, but I am not sure....lots of guys fishing the creek but I have no idea.
[signature]