Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first attempt at Kokanee
I've been meaning to/wanting to try for Lucky Peak kokanee for years. But spring time is busy with boys' baseball, home/yard chores, getting the camper ready for the summer, etc. etc. And it's just never materialized for me. But this past weekend, I finally had an evening to myself, some awesome weather, and I had heard that the kokanee fishing was excellent. I don't have a boat (well, not one that's quite ready for fishing...yet), but I thought "what the hell". So I just grabbed some night crawlers from the local store and headed to the lake. With the weather forecast on tap, fish or no fish, this was going to be a "win" just to get out.

I found a vacant rocky outcropping on the side of the road, hiked down, and just started throwing it out there. And lo and behold, they were biting - and biting hard. I landed 4 decent size fish in the 90 minutes I was there before dusk. And 4 others wiggled their way off before I could get them ashore.

I smoked them up tonight, and WOW! I am very impressed if I do say so myself. I am DEFINITELY going to be pursuing these from now on.

[inline 20150426_203509.jpg]

[inline 20150426_220227.jpg]

[inline 20150427_213013.jpg]
[signature]
Those looks tasty for sure! Don't want to burst your bubble but those are rainbows, not kokanee...great catch either way, just don't want you to get into a situation with limits/species
[signature]
Aw, she-ite...

They had absolutely zero color to them. Totally grey. But I think you're right, the spots and smaller anal fin do indicate trout. Well, they tasted outstanding just the same.
[signature]
White meat?

Idaho

[Wink]
[signature]
[quote 1idahoguy]Aw, she-ite...

They had absolutely zero color to them. Totally grey. But I think you're right, the spots and smaller anal fin do indicate trout. Well, they tasted outstanding just the same.[/quote]

He's definitely right. Those are rainbows. Recently stocked.
[signature]
As a serious Koke fisher I can tell you that your not going to be real successful from the shore, Congrats on the nice Rainbows though.[fishin]
[signature]
If you thought those tasted good just wait until you get some kokanee. [Smile]
[signature]