Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Causey 1/10/04
Fished Causey using my new fishfinder (thanks Petty) and my new 8" Ice Auger (thanks Teroy)

AIr temp was hover in the zero range when we got there water temp was 32 deg. We fished in 24 ft of water on about 18" of ice (total) 4" crusty 3" slush under the crust and the rest hard water.

Between UncleRay and I we caught about 50-60 fish kept 5 total biggest was a 13" spake and 1 Kokanee all the rest were splake.

Uncleray caught about 10-15 fish I was just knocking em dead and easilly pulled up 40-50 fish we caught fish on the bottom on waxworms and on crawlers on an icefly. I used no flashers but was using the strike indicator on a riged eagleclaw ice pole. UncleRay was using an ultralight icepole without strike indicator. I beleive that was the difference between the different amounts of fish we caught between us. I cauld set the hook and Uncleray could not as easily. There were hundreds of bites.

Fish were caught from the bottom to just under the surface of the ice. The one koke I caught was down about 6ft and it was the only one we caught.
[signature]
Nice report FFM, what area were you fishing and did you move around much? I'm glad to hear the slush has frozen maybe I'll give it another try. Thanks for the report. WH2
[signature]
We started on the south of the spillway on the dam out about 100yards from the face and about 30 feet from the shareline in 24 ft of water. Later when our hands were cold and wet from catching so many fish we moved into the sunby the rocks along the eastern shore of the lake between the cliff faces fished in anywhere from 19 ft to 65 ft of water had a few bites but caught nothing, after an hour or so we moved back to where we were catching fish thats when I caught the 13' splake and the koke.

FYI: we saw grundles of moose (6 OR 7)on the way up southfork canyon and one at Causey then on the ride home we saw 2 in Weber Canyon on the southside of the road. WOW, I havent seen that many moose since I lived up by Causey in Evergreen subdivision.
[signature]
Remember, you can't have two fish finders close together because they will interfere with each other. I heard one of the guys say that is not the case if they are on a different freq. like a vlexair. WH2
[signature]
I was worried about cross talk with the fish finders so I thought I'd just put one down at a time then see what it says yank it out and drop the other down to see if it reads the same thing. That ought a work. I just want some confidence in the unit Petty gave me.
[signature]
When I first started using my Eagle fishfinder through the ice I experimented with it by leaving the fish symbols turned on. It showed many fish at Strawberry, but we weren't catching any. I laid down on the ice and covered my head while I looked through the ice hole. I could see all the way to the bottom and there were no fish to be seen -- despite the fishfinder showing those nice fish symbols. I learned very quickly to always turn the symbols off. Another major benefit of having the symbols turned off is that with proper adjustment one can see their jig. This is invaluable to be able to reel up or down to a fish. If your fishfinder always shows the fish symbols (some units will not allow them to be turned off), then you will just have to make do with what you have.

Not sure what value the temperature feature would be for ice fishing. I think that you will find that it always shows the water temperature to be 32 degrees.
[signature]
[url "http://www.norcrossmarine.com/HEFF33000PX.htm"]http://www.norcrossmarine.com/HEFF33000PX.htm[/url]

This is a link to the unit I have. Portable and very small so there is not a lot of features, but I got one now, that is further ahead then when I didn't have one.
[signature]
It could be useful on some waters being able to take a temperature reading at the depths (find warm springs at Utah Lake for example).
[signature]
hi FFM that the main reason i gave it to petty it showed fish top to bottom and my bottomline showed a fish now and then same for a vexlar a little ways away because of that i felt i couldn't trust it to show me a accurate picture of what was below me
[signature]