Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East Cape- Boat brain
East Cape- Boat brain
It has been a month since posting my last report and I'm starting to get hate mail from the three people that read my reports. Before explaining my lack of reports here is what is happening on the East Cape.

Recently East Cape has had some great moments but as a whole has not been consistent. The biggest news is yellowfin tuna have arrived. Fish have been on porpoise schools from 25 to 50 miles offshore. Mostly football size, they are feeding on huge schools of flying fish. Anglers watch the feeding frenzy in frustration as it has been tough to get them to go.

Closer to shore the striped marlin bite has been on and off. One day we released four fish and then got skunked the following day. Dorado have been non existent but a few blue marlin have been on score cards this week.

Roosterfish have been in the usual spots on east cape beaches but have been hard to target because the right bait is not always available.

Weather has been as nice as it gets recently with flat seas and overcast some days. Water temps are 77-78 degrees and a beautiful blue.

Last November our reservations for the 2015 season started pouring in. By March most of the prime dates for the year were already reserved. Some of our long time clients expressed disappointment because they couldn't get on our schedule.

I started thinking that maybe it was time to add another boat to our fleet. We are so happy with Jen Wren III it was clear I wanted another 35 Cabo Flybridge. Hunting high and low there were no Cabo's available that fit my criteria. As the search got tough I would talk myself out of making the move and would stop looking for a week or two.

After stopping the search and giving up I was made aware of a boat in San Diego. It sounded perfect but was beyond my means. Re-inspired my search continued. Spending hours on the internet and phone nothing tripped my trigger except this boat in San Diego.

One day I called the broker to see if the boat had sold. When finding out it was still available something came over me and I decided to take my best shot. My offer was substantially less than asking price but it was as is, where is, no inspection, no survey, close as quick as the owner can convey title. The broker was set back a little but prepared the offer for my signature. After sending paperwork back and forth he called that night and said we bought a boat.

Now my anxiety set in. I imagined everything that could be wrong probably was and most likely the propellers were falling off and the motors shot. Arriving in San Diego to take delivery I was very pleased to not find any surprises. The boat named Vaquero had been severely neglected but not abused.

A week in a yard on Shelter Island doing inspections and repairs and Vaquero was ready for the trip to Cabo. We motored straight through 4 days and nights only stopping twice for fuel. Fishing was good and I was amazed how the boat draws fish. I am very please to say we had no mechanical issues.

Since returning home the Jen Wren crew has worked day and night on Vaquero bringing the boat to the standards our clients have come to expect. My wife says I have "boat brain" and is tired of being a boat widow. Our other boats are named after Jennifer and I believe boats should have a feminine name With that we are changing her name to Vaquera (Cowgirl in English).

First day on the job Vaquera scored 11 yellowfin and today released 3 striped marlin. Vaquera continues to be very fishy.

This was a much larger undertaking then I ever imagined. Special thanks to my brother Dave and my buddies Bob Tilley and Steve Davis. Without their help I would most likely be lost at sea.

[Image: 522151.jpg]
Striped marlin putting on a show

[Image: 522152.jpg]
Debbie does her first marlin

[Image: 522153.jpg]
Gag me!

[Image: 522154.jpg]
YFT crashing on flyingfish

[Image: 522155.jpg]
Jim Mutsch and his son of Sheboygan Wisconsin get in on the tuna action

[Image: 522156.jpg]
Roberto gets a bonus while scrubbing the boat

[Image: 522157.jpg]
Vaquera ready to head south

[Image: 522158.jpg]
Pancho greeted us in Cabo. Not the mug I was looking for but home sweet home!

Mark Rayor
teamjenwren.com
markrayor.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/JenWrenSportfishing
US cell 310 308 5841
[signature]