Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great Day on Utah Lake, Lincoln Beach 5/30/15
I finally got out on a catfishing trip Saturday with my buddy Dave. We launched at Lincoln beach at about 5:30 AM and went looking for shallow water activity. Water temp was 62 when we started and 65 in the shallows when we left about noon. We were surprised to see the parking lot empty on what looked to be one of the best Saturdays of the year so far. The lot did fill while we were gone!
We found some heavy carp activity near some shallow reeds and decided to take a look. If nothing else, we could get some fresh bait. Dave wanted to see how shallow his new boat would get so we eased into about 2’ and anchored. First cast brought a nice 23” kitty and another was on before the first one was boated. Both of us were really needing a good fishing trip after a long drought and we thought this is it!

The first flurry yielded 4 cats, 20-23” and then it went dead. We watched the carp “dancing” and listed to them splash and the blackbirds sing for almost an hour. I got a carp that volunteered for bait duty, but no more cats. I was just about to suggest a move and we got another kitty, this one 24.5”. I took a picture for the UCC, in case it was best of the day. I had paid 5 bucks and I wasn’t going to go without any entries!

We go about 4 more in that wave and things slowed again, but not to a standstill. We kept getting one every 30 minutes and then another wave. When we had 10 fish in the well, Dave said “these are really nice fish, but we need big one.” Almost on queue I had my shallow side (of the boat) bobber take off and when I set the hook the water exploded with a thrashing catfish that went almost airborne. It was a long dark one and Dave said “wow that’s gotta be 7 pounds!” Again right on queue the hook came out and he was gone.

We continued to get steady action and spurts for another hour when I saw a single peck on my deep side bobber, and then it started a slow steady northward trek. I tightened l line ad set the hook and said “oh man!” “Good fish?” asked Dave. “I set the hook and nothing even budged.” After a couple of minutes it rolled, big old head, dark grey with lots of white battle scars, and long! Dave started getting excited and I said “I’m not getting excited until it’s in the boat,” (only a sight lie). When it got near the boat the first time it showed its head and Dave said “Oh man, I don’t think it is hooked very well.” “You’re killing me man, I’ll be excited when it is in the boat, remember?” I quipped.

After a couple of “boat spook runs” we netted it. 32” and 12 pounds, my personal best and I was excited! Now I had an entry for sure. After the official and unofficial pictures, I revived the fish and released it.

The fishing steadily tapered off and we had been releasing fish for about an hour and a half so we kept the last 2 for our limits and we called it a day. Actually we called it a great day! We kept 16 cats between 19 and 25 inches, released about 10 more, including a 32” personal best and had a great time. The majority of the fish came on shrimp, but almost half on WB and carp meat and most of the larger ones, including the biggest, came on fresh cut carp. We got fish in water 18 to 30” deep, some under bobbers and some below slip sinkers. We also got 2 carp and 3 mudders. I can’t wait to get out again!
[signature]
I'm impressed. Great catching. I need to get out after the kitties again really soon.
[signature]
Awesome!
[signature]
Thanks! It looks we are just entering the best part of the year for kitties[Smile]
[signature]
I hope they will still be available in two weeks when I can get out again.[bobWink]
[signature]
I'd be optimistic about 2 weeks from now.[Smile] This year has been hectic for me, but the best morning I ever had at UL was in early July in 3-4' of water.

I hope you get into them!
[signature]
[quote Piscophilic]I'd be optimistic about 2 weeks from now.[Smile] This year has been hectic for me, but the best morning I ever had at UL was in early July in 3-4' of water.

I hope you get into them![/quote]

Thanks! I have to leave the state next week for work and won't be back until then. I need to get into some larger kitties.
[signature]