Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updates on Boat Restrictions Preston Area
Has anyone heard of or know of the new boating restrictions for the Preston Area Reservoirs? Some sketchy stuff around on what reservoirs are being limited on boats and motor sizes but not sure if they went into effect this summer or not. Particularly Twin and Glendale.

Thanks
[signature]
I heard that they're turning away any boats with ballasts at both Twin and Glendale now. I believe Lamont and maybe Johnson are also reduced horsepower lakes now.

I drove past Twin on Monday, and I didn't see a single ski boat on the water, so I think it's true. I just might be opening up my summer fishing options now.
[signature]
Thanks for the info. Do you know if they have kicked in there motor size? I know they were going to put it down to no more than a 10 horse but cant remember if or when it was going to happen. Glad no ski boats on there, fishing should really pick up with none of them on Glendale.
[signature]
I wish they would of done that at Lake Lowell. I have no problem with skiers since those boats were designed to produce minimal wake. It's the boats that produce 6 foot rollers that are an issue. Instead they just made more of the lake no wake. Takes 45 minutes to get to the fishing now.
[signature]
I'm not sure on the horsepower restrictions. My boss is into water skiing so I heard about the ballast thing from her. Another coworker rents a spot on Lamont every year and she's the one that told me about the horsepower restriction on that lake. She said it was for sure on another lake in the area, but she couldn't remember which one. My guess would be Johnson, but I'm not sure.
[signature]
Here is a brief overview:
http://www.capitalpress.com/Idaho/201505...er-mussels
[signature]
I'm from Preston. As of now they are trying to stop people, but there is no law to stop anyone from entering the waters, with any restriction. the Police will not come kick you off or give you a ticket. The canal companies are trying to stop people but have no authority to do so. so you can enter even if they tell you no. they can try to kick you off or trespassing but it has to be posted in accordance to Idaho State law and even if they do there is so many loop holes. they police have said that there hasn't been a civil trespassing law gone to court in a long time because no one post it correctly
We also have a association that has formed to help work with the canal companies, to try and show them that we respect the waters and will do what we can to help. We have a Facebook page Franklin County Boaters and Anglers Association. not allot of info there yet but we need your support. We need to work together as Boaters and Anglers to help this problem, not fight between the two. Please Support our efforts.
[signature]
We need your support, facebook page has been getting a bunch of updates.
https://www.facebook.com/franklincountys...en?fref=nf
[signature]
as a fisherman, and as someone who uses water from twin I support the stance they are taking to try and stop a problem with aquatic species before they get into the system. I also believe if you put into the lake without there will be a trespassing law go to court pdq
[signature]
So I went fishing to Glendale the other day, its been a while, and to my surprise but not totally, I see this sign posted at the boat ramp. It references Idaho Code 36-1604 and what boats are restricted from use on Glendale. Pretty clear what is permited and what is not.
[signature]
Look up the code, it has nothing to do with the water. The county has came up with ten grand and asking the city for the other 5 needed to keep the inspection stations opened. So in other words they will be open for boaters, just not ballast tank boats.
we try to keep people updated on this facebook page. Franklin County Boaters and Anglers Association. I know it hasn't been updated on this info yet, but this is what we are being told. we still need your support to help this situation. Please take the time to donate. I feel if we do not stop it here, then it will fester and become a state wide problem.
[signature]
I wont argue the facts here. Everyone can take the posting as it is posted, but, the one I posted is only one of several that are on the sign. You have to read all the statutes in totality and I do believe the Canal Company is perfectly legal in doing what they are. Ultimately it will be up to a court of law if enforced and taken to court for a final disposition. I hope the County Commissioners and City realize what all the Idaho Codes are that the Canal company is working under. And, I bet the Canal Company didn't just come up with the Codes on their own. Willing to bet their legal counsel provided the information for them to put the sign up. One thing I didn't mention on the day I was fishing, there were two boats with ballasts on the water and didn't even do what was asked of them by the sign. It is blatant violators such as this that will close the water to everyone. And, I personally observed no inspections being done by the inspection person on two boats and they did not inspect mine either even though I asked them to do one. So, the inspections aren't even being done as required by state law.
[signature]
just a note I have the codes right here on my desk, and we have been talking to the cop that patrols the waters. I don't include all that i know because of certain reasons, because our Association is trying to help both sides, I do understand the farmers side, they also need to understand all sides, and not just shut things down, because as i said, where will it end? but the ballast boats that are on the water are legal to be there.
[signature]