Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone been to Hornet Reservoir?
Hi, me again!

Still getting anxious for the warmer weather and putting trips on the calendar.

For those folks on the Western side of the state, has anyone ever been to Hornet Reservoir up on Cuddy Mt. above Council?

If so, can you describe fishing opportunities? Are there decent places to camp?

THANKS !!!
[signature]
Never heard of it but I thought I would give your post a bump up and see if any one can answer you question
[signature]
Appreciate the bump!

Since none have responded, I am taking it on as my personal mission to explore this lake and provide feedback to the forum.

There's some good photos on Panoramio / Google Earth. The lake should open up late June-ish.
[signature]
Did you ever make it up to Hornet Reservoir? I am moving to Council this fall and need tips on fishing spots. I tossed some flies into the Weiser River above Council this summer but not much action.
[signature]
Funny, we were just talking about Hornet....

I am still going to make an attempt in August, maybe Sept.

I met a guy online who goes in on 4-wheeler. He says access is by: 1. 5 mile hike 2. ATV 3. Capable high-clearance 4x4.

He reported large rainbows and easy fishing, with minimal fishing pressure due to difficult access. Upper main lake is the destination, while the lower lake apparently drains out or is not planted.

I will still report once I get up there!
[signature]
Great, I am buying a RV Park in Council so if you need a place to camp let me know.
[signature]
Ten years ago, I had just bought my first 4 wheel drive truck (the Toyota I still drive) and decided to go on my first adventure. I filled up my float tube and headed up the mountain to Hornet Creek res. . I saw a doe halfway up, and stopped to take her photo. Just as I was about to click the shutter, I heard a "BLAM!!!" and the deer ran off. "Darn poachers!" I thought, and continued up the hill. When I got to the lake, I of course found that my float tube had exploded due to the elevation change.

I fished the two lakes from shore with both spinning gear and fly gear, and caught all kinds of fish. I kept the ones in the photo for dinner. When I went to drive out, I thought I was marooned because I couldn't make the pull out of the lake. Took me a while to figure out that I hadn't engaged the 4x4 correctly. No way my little 4 banger had enough guts to climb out in 2x. I eventually figured it out and the truck walked right out.

[Image: hornettcreektroutcut.jpg]

Please message me if you see any deer or elk up there, I'm thinking I might like to bowhunt up that way. It really looked good, but that's the last time I've been up there.
[signature]
Hello!!!!

6 years after starting this thread, I can finally log in to report my first trip to Hornet.

As others have indicated, access is very difficult. The road is fine until the last 2 miles, then it was 4WD low range. Lots of boulders to crawl over and steep terrain. My Isuzu Trooper has a lift kit and 10-ply tires, otherwise I would have turned back. An ATV is really the best way to visit.

Spectacular lake! We camped there and were alone the entire time, strange for the days before the 4th of July.

Lake is quite deep and clear. Lots of fish active. All those we caught were rainbows. Size ranges from 8 inches to 13. Used mostly a variety of spinners and lures, and a wet fly. I took my canoe, and it almost broke the lines that fastened it on, because of the condition of the road.

Lake water was surprisingly warm, and the kids swam and swam. Really a great place to camp.

Lower lake was full but no fish were observed. I think it gets drained every year.
[signature]
Ok so you made it up there but no pics?[Tongue]

Sounds like a great trip and the road sound like the road into Murdock basin in the uinta mountains.
[signature]
[quote albinotrout]Ok so you made it up there but no pics?[:p]

Sounds like a great trip and the road sound like the road into Murdock basin in the uinta mountains.[/quote]

I made several attempts to post some pictures. I'll try again today! They seem to upload just fine, but are not appearing for some reason.
[signature]
Let's see if this works:
[signature]
Beautiful place, beautiful fish, who could ask for more. Nice report. Thanks.
[signature]
Nice pics! Yeah don't check the inline box. If you put them on your other post you can go back and uncheck them and they will show up.
[signature]