Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Good Morning on Willard 9/12
I left the north launch ramp about 7:00 am and headed for Freeway Bay where I put out my Rattlin Raps and trolled to the feed lot where I anchored up and put out a line with a nite crawler and one with a muscle, no love, so I trolled back to Freeway Bay where I caught my first Wiper of the day trolling about 8:30, then I anchored up on a hump that was stacked up with fish on my fishfinder. I put out a worm and a muscle and waited about ten minutes and I caught my second Wiper on a muscle so I changed both rods to muscles and steadily caught fish including two doubles until I pulled anchor and headed in around 12:30. I'm a believer in muscles after today I caught 14 Wipers and 2 cookie cutter Cats. I just tied on a #4 hook with no weight and pitched the bait behind the boat. I took home three Wipers and the cats.
[signature]
That's Awesome! Using mussels to catch Wipers isn't as glamorous as trolling or casting top waters... but they are effective [Wink]. And the Kittys like them too.
[signature]
great report and nice fish , Willard can be a cruel mistress this time of year.
[signature]
I almost forgot to ask. How was the water clarity?
[signature]
The water clarity is stained probably less than a foot visibility.
[signature]
Just wondering where you guys get your muscles?
[signature]
I bought a one pound bag of cooked muscle at Winco for about $3.00 in Clinton.
[signature]
You must have got the last bag..............[frown] went looking for some on Friday, didn't see any. But better I didn't. The power steering pump went out on my truck on Friday afternoon, so I was "Armstrong steering" all weekend. Fixed now. Hope the weather at least dries up for this weekend, want to get the boat wet --- on the bottom. [fishin]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Mussels can be hard to find. But Harmon's grocery store carrys them in their fresh seafood case for $5-6 lb they are raw and unflavored.
[signature]
walmart has them also in a red bag frozen.
[signature]
Costco usually has them in a big mesh bag in their seafood section. They're raw so I take them home and boil them just until the shells begin to open then package them in bags of about 10 - 15 and freeze them. I put water in the bags then squeeze out all the air before putting them in the freezer.
[signature]