Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard the Mistress and Mussels
Late post, I know. Solo trip to Willard Thursday Morning Sept 24, on the water by 8. Trolled from North Marina across Freeway Bay, nada, zip. Was headed for a shelf, and bump or something, not sure what to bait fish. Saw another boat already there, figured I'd give it a try.

Got 3 Wipers, one 18 inches and took the rod to the water, the other was 17 and 15. Also 4 Cats.

Fished 4 hours there from 10 to 2 ish.

Best bait, mussels in a $2.98 bag in seafood freezer section at Winco, probably 50. Worked way better on a circle hook. Stabbed through main mussel, one side and back through same mussel lower, NO weights, free drifting. If you added split shot, got cats.

Location: Freeway Bay, 200 -300 yards out from dike, between power poles counted east from pig farm 6 to 8. Counting the power pole tower at the pig farm as #1, then count each tower east. Also the depth went from 9.5 deep to 6 in 20 yards. Fish that, I wind drifted from 9.5 feet to 6 feet.

Had a great time even though the solar lunar cycle was not in sync.
[signature]
Nice![cool]
[signature]
Thanks for the detailed report, sounds like I better stop trolling and try those mussels.
When you say that biggest wiper took your rod into the water, are you saying you lost it, if so, did you get the rod back?
[signature]
Just jargon, just bent my rod tip to the water.
[signature]
OK that makes sense, I've just heard of a few members that have lost their poles while fishing for wipers.
[signature]