Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First time at Henry's Lake
I am coming up from Utah to fish Henry's Lake and probably the Madison and Firehole rivers in Yellowstone NP this week with my family. I will be flyfishing Henry's from my kickboat as well as fishing from the shore with my kids. Can anyone give me advice on fly patterns, fish depth, areas of the lake, etc? Not looking for anyone's secret sauce, just some general pointers. I already posted on the Utah forum and got some good advice, but thought I would post here as well. Thanks in advance!
[signature]
We just got back. Henry's lake is at 56 degrees. The State boat launch area seems to be the spot to hit. We fished out from launch in 7 to 8 feet of water. The Lake is at 80+percent still according to Damon.
We use Type III density compensated. Used #4 Gartside Softhackles in Black and Orange and in Black and Purple.

[Image: DSCN0112_zpsgdw3fbfi.jpg]

I fished two hooks about 3 feet apart. Got real interesting.
[Image: double_zpsow9qhfll.jpg]

We floated and fished Big Springs. Nothing big but lots of them on a Parachute Adams #14.
[signature]
I suggest you check in at the drift lodge fly shop and pick up a couple three patterns from Mike who is doing a good job and has daily contact with the fishing on Henry's. I know of three patterns that have been very deadly the past three weeks. The number is 208-558-0152 and it is located just before the south side entrance of the sawtell or red rock camping ground access and only a couple miles from the state dock access. Fishing just got superb four weeks ago on the southside the cliffs area hope creek access just north of the red rock campground pretty close to shore on the west end but since the lake has turned over it is more challenging.
Did pick up 9 last wed evening in that area although the fishing was generally very slow. I prefer a one sink and have been using the Richards leach patterns but know the copper crystal schies patterns as well as the schrimp and silver minnow patterns have also produced big days. All are available at the fly shop. The middle 18' water with four sink east of the county ramp produced very well for a couple 7 pound hybrids last thur on the day we fished it as well. That area is not accessable without a pontoon boat. Exciting to have a lot of the big hybrids back in the lake.

The fishing was really good four weeks ago wed for just two or three days and then kind of vanished from what I heard. About one in four of the fish we hooked were hyrbrids on our two day trip running from five to 8 pounds. I have not fished it much since the disappearance of the hybrids eight or nine years ago.
I think you have the potential to do ok for the cuts straight out from the state park. We or the guys I talked to did not catch any hybrids there however. Having fished the lake for twenty five years most of the time the line is really important and for me in the shallow water I do better two or three feet off the bottom. That is why I believe I was able to do well last wed eve in the shallows when the fishing was pretty dismal except for the deep water.
[signature]
pretty cool to catch two at once like that on the fly rod wow I have not seen that since seeing my day did do it on dry flies over fifty years ago.
[signature]
Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it!
[signature]
Unfortunately, we only spend a couple hours and one day, but sounds like you had it dialed in BT. Great info.

I am a big Gartside Softhackle fan and I know non of the shops up there carry them so I tie my own. It is a perfect replica of a leech which that lake is full of.

I would like to add two more pattern that you should be able to get at Gordon's Red Rock Camp ground.
Bill Shiess Mity mouse (killer on Brookies) and the Hot Chocolate ( The one I caught my 18lb on few years back [Wink])

You can pretty much count on any thing Bill Shiess ties and Denny Rickards.

If the water is calm or you fish shallow, and Intermediate (Type1) would be my choice.
Choppy and windy I prefer Type 2 or 3.
[signature]
The weeds on the bottom look like a flocked Christmas tree now compared to crystal clear water with almost no legable alge the 2nd to 4th of Sept. Also actually ten or more fish an hour rising the evening and morning I fished the southwest side at times. Several others were catching over 15 apiece in the a.m. Had alot problems with the decaying stringy weed remnants contaminating the fly last week and only saw a handful rise. I do not recall seeing less weed growth especially close to shore and virtually no surface patches as I saw four weeks ago at the red rock and howard creek accesses.
[signature]
td the red rock campground access takes you to the west side of the cliffs and a couple hundred yard walk to the east will give you good bank access for your kids where the cliffs begin and deep enough water to reach the fish. I think there is adequate bank access at the state park as well just west of the boat ramp and probably better fishing with the kickboat there as well last week from another report of a friend who was there the same time as myself.
[signature]
Flyg I did so well on the black seal fur w/maroon hackle and holographic tinsel rickards I started with it was the only pattern I tried both trips. A friend who fished last tues did quite well on a similar streamer to the gartside out from the state he picked up at the drift fly shop. Trying a half a dozen other patterns he remarked he caught all his fish on the pattern you described. The lady at the redrock campground said they were closing sept 25th. He did a little better than me last week but caught no hybrids.
[signature]
Thanks for the mention. Fishing here is still real good and with the planting that went on last week it has brought the big fish in close at the state. I am guessing with the upcoming storms and further drop in temps it should only get better for those of you not afraid of cooler weather and some rain. For everyone else reading here I have all of Bill Schiess and Denny Rickards patterns here.
[signature]