Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard this Saturday
Hoping the weather forecast is reasonably accurate and Saturday provides a partly cloudy, no rain, and light wind kind of day. Taking son #2 with me, will be his first time on Willard. Probably won't get on the water till after 0900 cause he won't get off work till 0800. Hope to send home a good collection of fillets with him. Will post how it goes.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Looking forward to your report.
[signature]
I will be interested in ramp conditions and water levels.
My prop is already damaged from low water at Willard.

Look forward to your report.
[signature]
DK, I don't remember what size of boat you have, but the north marina should still be deep enough. There were larger ski boats launching there last weekend. There was 2.5 ' at the bottom of the ramp, 4-6' in the area around the dock, 6-7' in the channel (stay in the middle) and once out past the buoys it was 8-9' and more. West wall to the lite pole was 10-12' in most places. Freeway Bay 6-9' and out in the middle of the "openness" 9-12'. Only places you should be really cautious is around the island and from the island west to the wall, and south towards the south marina and wall. I would call the south marina a total NoGo area in anything bigger than a tube [:/].
But if we get out on the water tomorrow, I will post a report.
[signature]

Cool
Thank you.
I'll look for your report.
[signature]
Well, here it is, a bit late I know. Got on WB at the north marina about 0930 yesterday and the water levels were just about what I told you. It was overcast, slight breeze, water temp 60. Went first back to the spot I boated the 15 Wiper last week, not this time. Started toward the Feed lot and it started raining. Rain wasn't hard and it was pretty much coming straight down from a cloud moving across the middle of the lake from west to east. I put my top up, and it was enough to keep me mostly dry. Headed west toward the light pole, got to the wall and the rain stopped, sun broke through the clouds, which were continuing to move east to the mountains. I stayed in the sun and followed till I got to the Feed Lot area. Dropped anchor, and within 10 minutes had the first baby Cat stripping line. Boated and released. 10 minutes later first Wiper was stripping line. Decided I wanted some fresh Wiper in the freezer so boated and put the first one in the live well.

[inline 1201_Cat#1_CPR.jpg]

[inline 1211_Wiper#1.jpg]

Last week I hit my personal best with 15 Wiper boated. They were a real hoot to get a hook up on an average of every 7.5 minutes, and they were in the middle of the size range but put up great fights. Yesterday the catching was more quality than quantity. And like the man said, I had a "Dejavue all over again" 12 minutes after landing this nice fat one, I got hit by another HUGE Carp! This time I had new mounts under my rod holder, so no almost heart attack, cuz no mid air catch of a flying holder and pole. [crazy]. But this one was Fat and Heavy. I would almost swear it was the same one as last week, but that one, and this were returned to the water with gillectomies.

While I was dealing with the Carp, my other drag started to sing, and here we go, a 2 fer !

[inline 1223_Carp#1_&_Wiper#2.jpg]

They both went back top the water. The Wiper with just a small hole in his lip.

Caught 3 more Wiper, 1 released, 2 invited for dinner.
Noticed the wind shifting a little, so headed back towards the north end. Stopped in a couple spots outside and north of the marina, and wouldn't you know it. The biggest Wiper of the day takes a mussel, and about 25 yards of my line before I get in the net, but the 3 I already have in the boat are only good for filleting now. I refuse to cull out a dead fish to replace it with a bigger one. So that last big momma, went back in the water.

To whomever was in the Tracker that went past me and said Hi, Hello yourself. I wasn't being anti-social, but at first I wasn't sure what you said. After mulling it over a couple minutes, I realized it was "Hi Tin-Can"
Hope you guys had a good day yesterday.

I headed in just as it was beginning to rain some more, and got up under the cleaning station to fillet out my catch for the day. I was staying dry, but the mosquitoes came up out of the grass and about ate me alive..[pirate]

[inline 1653_Keepers.jpg]
[signature]

Cool