Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Island Park Res.
Fishing was good today . The fish are spread out all over . So trolling is the way to catch them . Today anything gold .
[signature]
Hey Curt, sounds like you had a good day. I'm not familiar with the fish at Island Park Res. What were the fish you were catching? Do they have kokanee in that lake?
[signature]
I have only caught rainbows there. Maybe a cutbow. There are Kokanee there and use to have big ones but I have not caught one summer or winter. In dryer years it drops to 30 % capacity but starts filling after the irrigation ends around early to mid october
[signature]
Great, thanks for the info, I think I read someone caught kokes there a few years back but I wasn't sure if they were still in there.
[signature]
They plant 250,000 a year . I have not figured out how to catch them . Some guys from Utah , that fish Flaming Gorge alot came up and did real well with down riggers in front of the dam .
[signature]
250,000 seems like a pretty high number, I'm surprised more people aren't catching them. By the way, how deep is the water in front of the Dam?
[signature]
In the Spring about 75 to 80 feet . This fall it was 40 to 50 feet .
[signature]
They ice fish out there?
[signature]
Yes , it is open to fishing all year long . There are only two good acess points during ice fishing season . The boat ramp near the dam and Lakeside Lodge . Unless you have snowmachines , then you can go anywhere on the lake .
[signature]
In my opinion, I would rather catch fish out of Island park than Henrys. They fight a lot harder and taste much better, if you're into hooking and cooking. I know why they taste better, but why do they fight harder? I've had them right by the boat and then they will jump and spit the hook right right back in the boat. I think it's their way of giving you the finger![mad]
[signature]
Last winter I tried fishing by the dam twice. Both times there was water under the snow, so real slushy (not real fun). Only caught one trout and no kokanee.

I suppose they collect water all winter so the slushy part is always there. Does Island Park Res freeze before Henrys Lake?
[signature]
No Henry's will normally freeze about two weeks before Island Park . They are filling the lake all winter and water and slush on top of the ice is a big problem . I fish Henry's until it closes . Then move over to Island Park .
[signature]