Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake 16-19 Jan
Got to Bear late Friday so no netting for me.

Saturday morning at 5 a.m. I headed out to give this cisco netting thing a try. Not real sure what I was doing, but from reading old posts and asking questions I was going to give a go!! I chipped out a large hole and and sat by patiently waiting. Not much action until I could see the bottom structure by natural light. Then WHAM the cisco were moving about faster than I could get them!! I got a limit in less than 20 min. Fished straight down from the dumpsters just South of the Dive area at Cisco beach.

Sunday morning I dragged my wife and 10 year old boy down to give it another try. Same times, same place, and same results. My boy got a whopping 9 cisco in one scoop and now he is addicted. My net is only 12" across and only on a 6' pole so you can be sure he worked his butt off getting that many in one pull!!

Monday, I met up with Old Coot, his Daughter Emily, Baitcaster, and MGB. We were on the Ice by 6:30 a.m. and ............ I will let them post or reply as to how they did! Just a hint, we were off the water and at my trailer before 9 a.m.!!! Great netting with you all, hope to have many more outings together, I really enjoyed your company!

I am now looking forward to Ice Fishing the great pond next weekend!! Note to self: never go anywhere in the winter without auger and ice fishing gear!!!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]How thick is the ice?[/size][/font]
[signature]
BLM,

The ice is 2-3 inches off cisco beach. I seen people ice fishing out pretty far at the pumphouse, ideal beach area, and outside the State Marina. All I have first hand knowledge off is were I was netting cisco though, forgot to bring my ice fishing gear with me to explore other areas!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Ideal Beach? Does that mean there are people fishing the rock pile now?[/size][/font]
[signature]
Not quite!! they were still a little short of the pile. I will be investigating it Friday, but need to find someone that weighs more than me to go with???? I think that it will be O.K. by then if the temps stay below freezing. You have fished there alot, once the ice starts does it freeze up quickly?? I would love to pick your brain for ice fishing tactics there too!! MGB and I plan to fish it Saturday as well, p.m. me if you would like to join. Old coot might even bight at the offer if we can get baitcaster and the three of us teamed up!!!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Get IFG to test the ice for you. He went for it on the Gorge this weekend but darn near went through. That was a little too close for comfort. I was the one riding on the ice condo ready to bail off if the sled went under! Hey, some one had to pull him out if he broke thru. Actually I was a bit more concerned then he was to say the least. My ball size has decrease with age![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]BL will go quick. If the snow will stay off it, that will speed the process. Once the snow hits and lays on the ice, it will actually insulated it and not freeze as fast. I think the rock pile should be accessible by Thursday or Friday easily. I'm hoping we'll have 4+ inches so We can take the 4 wheelers and sleds.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I'll be on the lake a couple times this weekend. I'll be there Thursday for sure. I'm still working on the other days. I'll keep you posted.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[signature]
Did IFG get his big Mack for the contest?? Time will tell. He seems to be the braver sole on this site to test the hard water! I just read a post that people were fishing Gus's point and the rock pile, Very Brave folks!! I like the idea of riding the sled while others challenge the odds, but I will have to be the lead next friday because I will be solo for the trip for now!! Are the fishing tactics about the same for ice as they are for the fall?? I am a big sponge and a catch and release type of guy, so if you could share any pointers it would be greatly appreciated! Old Coot is working with me on the boat fishing tactics but I was wondering what I should do for ice as well.
[signature]
Fish1on, thanks for showing me how to catch them cisco. I've been wanting to try the cisco run for about three years and just kept putting it off. Its a mazing how many there where. If it was'nt for you I would of just put it off another year. Thanks again.
[signature]
Mike,

No thanks required, you new more than you let be known! Thank you for letting my boy net a few, he has the fever for it now!! I thinking we might have to eat our limits so I can take him out again next weekend!!!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Fish1on, MGB, and Bait Caster, and fish1onJR,[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]My daughter had a hoot netting little "skisscoes" with you all. She said that she will remember it for a long time. It's kind of fun to get up in the middle of the night for a long drive to a cold fishing hole ... memorable.[/size][/font]
[signature]
it was mentioned on the board awhile back about having more than your limit of fish or wild game in the freezer. i don't mean to stir up a hornets nest but i would think this also applies to cisco. any thoughts
[signature]
The limit on cisco is 30 per day and 30 in possesion. That means all you can have in your freezer is 30 per licensed angler. Bear Lake Fish Guy was the one who gave us the post you are speaking of, click on link below. Me personnaly, I feel that you should only take what you will eat or need for bait when it comes to cisco. As for other species, I rarely ever keep any and when I do it is because I have wounded them in one way or another. Many anglers that are out netting will keep careful count by bagging them up in groups of 5.

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=95824;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=95824;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread[/url]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Carpkiller,[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I highly doubt you will stir up any hornets nest on this board regarding that topic. Of course it applies to cisco.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Fish1on's reply pretty well covers it.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]The only thing I would like to add, is that when netting your cisco, you should bag them up in your 5-count baggies as fast as you catch them or you may reach your limit much quicker than you anticipated.[/size][/font]
[signature]