Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whitefish Redemption at Bear Lake … 12-12-2015
[center][Image: winner.gif][/center]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]Well, as you may know, I did very poorly catching whitefish two weeks ago. And to make things worse, while I was getting my butt handed to me, 20 yards away there was a guy that just kept catching one after another. So at the ramp that day two weeks ago, I made myself acquainted with that talented fisherman. He explained that he had never fished for whites in his life! Well, I just had to know what he was using and what his technique was. We shared e-mail addresses and he graciously offered to fish alongside me and show me what his technique and lures were. His name is Nathan V. and has since signed up on BFT as "KokeMaster".[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]Nathan and I picked today to make that next run to Bear Lake and attempt to redeem my poor showing from two weeks ago.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]We weren't able to land limits like he did two weeks ago, but we sure had a fantastic time.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]We left my house at 4:00 A.M. and were catching fish by 7:45 out on Second Point. The roads through Logan canyon were bare and the 1st Point ramp had a skiff of snow but absolutely no problems launching.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]Nate proceeded to teach me the fine art of reel-stop-drop … reel-stop-drop … reel stop-drop. I must say, that technique along with those lures brought about 18 whites to the boat. Four of them were too small to keep but the big ones seemed to us to be really big … 18-20 inches.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4][inline Whites-in-the-Cooler.jpg][/size][/#800000][/font]

[/size][/#800000][/font]
[inline All-10-Whitefish.jpg]

[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]All the lures that caught fish today were soft plastic … small tubes, curly tail grubs, and Gulp minnows. The colors that worked were clear with sparkle, white with sparkle, and the 2" minnow had a white belly with black back. We used 1/8 oz. lead heads all day.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]At times the fishing was fast … four fish for four casts. Other times slow for a long time. Catching slowed way down around 10:30. We called it a day at noon.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]Nate is one heck of a good guy and one very talented and knowledgeable fisherman. Every once in a while, you run into a "natural". Nate is one of those naturals when it comes to fishing. He isn't afraid to "change it up". He is also willing to "leave fish to find fish" … L.O.L.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]Just to show you what a good guy he is, he paid for most of the gas, tutored me in his tactics, offered to let me have his fish, gave me a package of the hot lure and a handful of his custom made jigs, and then when it came time for photo ops, Nate insisted that I be the one in all the pictures! Oh, and I suspect that if you watch tonight's KSL Outdoors with Adam Eakle, you'll probably see him working his magic.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4][inline Ralph-2-+-8.jpg][/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
[quote Old_Coot]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]The roads through Logan canyon were bare and the 1st Point ramp had a skiff of snow but absolutely no problems launching.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4] [/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4][/size][/#800000][/font] [/quote]

Congratulations Ralph on a fine outing. Always nice when one can learn new fishing skills.

I really wanted to head to Bear Lake today, but the reports on the UDOT site scared me from making the trip. Really frustrating that you found bare roads, because that is definitely not what UDOT was reporting.
[signature]
Great job, those sure are some dandies!
I have come to really appreciate the gulp minnows on the fish here in bear lake the last year or so. They've made a believer out of me and I've been catching more whities on those than my other jigs that I normally use.
Sounds like you found the best example of a fisherman to chum around with today.

Mike
[signature]
Great report and I enjoyed watching the show. Sounds like a great time.
[signature]
Hey way to smack them. [cool]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Nice work. Glad you guys were able to team up on them. I'm guessing your smoker will be busy for a while.

I share your admiration for Nathan. He has visited my "playroom" a couple of times...for "tackle talk". I was pleasantly surprised to find someone as knowledgeable and as passionate about fishing in general as he is. He is an expert on catching kokes at Da Berry. I'm sure he will be a valuable asset to our humble forum here.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thank you for the kind words, Old Coot. Thanks for a great time fishing yesterday. It was good getting to know you and fishing with a skilled fisherman. I'm glad I was able to be along and help you with the redemption of your white fish season. I look forward to fishing with you again.
[signature]
Welcome to the BFT site, glad to have you aboard. We have some good guys and gals that post on here as well as some of our neighbor states.[fishon]
[signature]
Welcome to BFT kokemaster.
[signature]
[center][Image: winner.gif][/center]
Congrats Ralph, for being this weeks winner, great post. Please send pickyfishy a PM.
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/com...pickyfishy
[signature]
Very nice report. Congratulations on the win. [cool]
[signature]
Wow! ... How cool is that!
Thanks much to whoever made that decision. [bobhappy] [bobhappy] [bobhappy]
[signature]
Your post have always been some of the best on the Forum Ralph. Lots of helpful info for other members and good pics.
On another note I saw you on Adam Eakle's show and my first thought was that you needed a BFT hat. He mentioned TubeDude and your username's not never said anything about BFT, what is up with that[:|].
[signature]
[#0000FF]It went by fast but he did mention BFT and even put up the website on that page.

Adam is a friend to BFT and often promotes us. Of course, he has to sweet-talk our members into helping him with his shows. Win Win.

For those who missed that broadcast, [url "http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=1112&sid=37756724&title=ksl-outdoors-bear-lake"]HERE IS A LINK[/url] to the show on KSL website.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks Pat, I must have missed it. Yes Adam is even a member on BFT, he just does not post much.
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]On another note I saw you on Adam Eakle's show and my first thought was that you needed a BFT hat.[/quote]

Ya know what Curt, I completely agree. I am going to try to sew one of my embroidered BFT patches onto a nice new baseball cap. I've been meaning to do that for quite some years now. Bout time I got-er-done.

Thanks again ...

--- Coot ---
[signature]
If they are like the ones I had, they were iron on patches. I tried to iron mine on but it did not last long, so I ended up having to sew it on.
[signature]
[#0000FF]If you go into a sewing and fabric store...or that section in WallyWorld...you can find fabric glue. I have used that over the years for gluing patches on hats and other clothing items. It dries clear, flexible and waterproof.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]