Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Rabbit Hunt to date.
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Calibri"]Went out rabbit hunting on Saturday and had the greatest hunt of my life.[/font]
[font "Calibri"]I took out my AR15 so that I would fire fewer rounds and hit the rabbits harder. Well I left early in the morning and drove the 80 miles from Brigham City to my “secret” honey hole for rabbits. [/font]
[font "Calibri"]This area has been great in years past for me and when I took my two boys (13 &9) just before thanksgiving we saw hundreds of rabbits and shot 19 between the three of us. Jordan my 13 year old shot 3 and my 9 year old shot his first rabbit all by himself. That day the rabbits were everywhere and the shooting was non-stop once we found them. We were all shooting .22s and ran out of bullets before heading home.[/font]
[font "Calibri"]With that previous trip under my belt I headed out alone to this spot with my trusty AR15 and a few hundred rounds. Well just like the trip before as soon as I found the rabbits they were everywhere. It did not take me long to burn through the 100 rounds of FMJ and then the 100 rounds of SP ammo I had with me. So I headed back to the truck with 31 confirmed kills for more ammo and to grab lunch. [/font]
[font "Calibri"]After a quick bite and reloading with 100 more FMJ and 100 + SP I headed back out to the killing fields. Then just as before it was on once I found the rabbits. It was so much fun and I was pilling up the rabbits. I ended up shooting 54 confirmed rabbit kills.[/font]
[font "Calibri"]You may ask why so low a number!! Well the FMJ would just blow through the rabbit with a fatal injury but not a dead right there kill. So I had to shoot the rabbit multiple times to stop them. However with the Soft Points the bullet would open up and take large parts of rabbits with it. I am reloading the spent cases with Hornady V-Max bullets and will go out again around New Years for hopefully an even greater body count hunt.[/font]
[signature]
What type of rabbits are you shooting anyway? Jacks?
[signature]
Nice work Pete. Was this the spot we hunted many years ago? I was out close to there chasing chukars today, and I didn't see much sign near the main roads. Good luck on your next trip out there.
[signature]
[quote BearLakeFishGuy]What type of rabbits are you shooting anyway? Jacks?[/quote]

One would assume, or it would be dumb to post your poaching online [sly]
[signature]
Sounds fun, My spot is also full of rabbits again this year. it's a 50/50 mix though, the cottontails have exploded in this area and you could easily limit out in short order. I took the 22-250 with Winchester white box ammo 45grain JHP and I do not have any survive the impact. My number were not even close to yours but it was fun having the gun out. we had 6 guys pushing and they were going everywhere.
[signature]
Yes TKB it was the same spot, they were everywhere.

I had intended to go back out this last weekend but after having Sinus Surgery just before Christmas my head has a problem with cold air. Go figure.
I am going to try again for the 16th. Hopefully my "Brain" will have healed enough to try again.
I have about 600 rounds of Hornady V-Max bullets for the AR so the fur will fly.
I'll let everyone know what the body count is after the next trip.
[signature]
Bunny blasting....[sly]
[signature]
Please don't take this wrong, but the original post has bothered me since I read it. It seems like you were killing rabbits just to be killing rabbits. None appeared to have been harvested for eating or their fur while doing this at a significant expense (time, gas, ammo, etc.). How could this be fun or enjoyable? Again, please don't take this wrong, but I'm really curious about what motivates this type of behavior.

Larry
[signature]
Strange I see your point but I would say 80% of rabbit hunters go out to shoot rabbits not go out and get dinner in fact I don't know if I could eat a jack rabbit but I have tried cotton tail rabbits and they where quite good. But for the most part I go out abd shoot ja k rabbits to feed the coyotes.
[signature]