Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Ice conditions/fishing report 12/31/15
Thursday, December 31, 2015

Bear Lake Fishing Report (with UPDATED ICE CONDITIONS):

During the last few days Bear Lake has been in a deep freeze with temperatures not getting above single digits and night time lows well below zero. This has caused the Bear Lake State Park marina to begin freezing even with many deicer machines running. As of this morning (Thursday) it is simply not possible to launch a boat at the marina since the ice has formed right at the bottom of the ramp. The east side ramps were also checked this morning and at First Point you can still launch but there are large, thick sheets of ice out on the lake which may make fishing difficult and dangerous. At the Rainbow Cove ramp conditions are a little better. Boats can be launched, but again, there are sheets of ice out on the lake and depending on the direction the wind is blowing, it may make fishing and retrieving your boat difficult. The courtesy docks have been pulled out for the season at both of these east side locations due to them icing up. The ramps are plowed after snow events, but can be slippery so bring a pail of salt or sand just in case. If you do launch on the east side, the end of the concrete ramps in both locations have a lip on them, so don't back your trailer tires over that lip when launching your boat or you could damage your trailer.
Now for the fishing report.

During the Christmas holiday we received over a foot of new snow in the Bear Lake valley. Temperatures at night have been near zero the last several days and ice sheets are beginning to form on several areas of the lake but the lake is mostly open water. Anglers who are braving the cold conditions in their boats are finding excellent fishing for Cutthroat Trout and it has been good for Lake Trout. The best success for Cutthroat Trout is coming from anglers jigging with ¾ to 1 ounce tube jigs tipped with Cisco, Sucker meat, or even worms right on the bottom. Anglers are catching some fish trolling but those who are jigging are doing much better. The hot spots have been off the rockpile at Ideal Beach, 2nd Point, as well as off Cisco Beach. Try in depths from 35’-50’ for Cutthroat Trout and deeper for Lake Trout. Pay attention to your sonar so you can find the fish. If you are trolling, try jointed rapalas or spoons for the best success. The hot fishing should continue right through until late January, so don’t put your boat away just yet. About January 20th (give or take about 5 days) the Bonneville Cisco should begin their spawning run along the shoreline at Cisco Beach and possibly off the Utah State Park marina. It is anyone’s guess if the lake will freeze over for the Cisco run, but do not fret the Cisco will run regardless if the lake is frozen or has open water! The annual Cisco Disco is scheduled for Saturday, January 23rd and there will also be a Polar Plunge at the Utah State Park marina later in the morning. Also, there will be a “largest Cisco” contest that day and a chili cook-off so bring the kids up for some wintertime fun. Finally, please remember, all Cutthroat Trout that are caught and don’t have a healed fin clip must be released.
[signature]
Thanks Scott. I hope it either warms up enough to launch a boat from the Bear Lake State Park Marina or freezes enough to safely fish from the ice. Unusual for it to be freezing this early. If I were a betting man, I would bet that this winter will be one that we are ice fishing at Bear Lake.
[signature]
Good report BLFG! Thanks for the information. It looks like the fish are going to get a break from us for a little while......
[signature]
Thanks for your report. Now all i can say is " freeze freeze FREEZE BABY "!
[signature]
Pack it in
PACK IT OUT ! 
Man, I agree 100%! I look at the lake every morning like a kid waiting for Christmas. I would love for an early freeze up, all we need is mama nature to cooperate and keep the wind from blowing. The wind is our enemy up here if we want the lake to ice up.
[signature]
Please let that lake freeze up!!! It's been 2-3 years since I've ice fished it.
[signature]
Would love to give it a try sometime. Maybe this will be the year.
[signature]
Lets just hope for the best [Wink]
[signature]
[quote Flyfishinglover]Lets just hope for the best [Wink][/quote]

[cool]
[signature]
So I was up by Evanston this morning. Temp was -23!! Made me wonder what Bear Lake was at?
[signature]
I hope it does freeze.. I've only ice fished it once with bearlakemack and petty..
[signature]
[quote pookiebar]So I was up by Evanston this morning. Temp was -23!! Made me wonder what Bear Lake was at?[/quote]

Brrrrrrrr....[bobConfused]
[signature]