Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to tell if ice is "thick enough"?
Please pardon this rookie question.

I've never iced fished. I would LOVE to try it out sometime, but it seems like winter months always keep me busy with other recreational activities to ever attempt to get out.

This past Thursday, I decided to do some snowshoeing since we've had an abundance of good snow in the past 2-3 weeks. I headed to Stanley and walked into and around the Redfish Lake area. The snow was awesome, as were the views. And while I was there, I thought it would be damn cool to walk across the entire lake over toward the inlet side during a future trip. All told, it would be about 8 miles round trip just on the ice.

But here's my question: how do I know if the ice is thick enough to walk on? And how would I detect signs of dangerous ice conditions during my trip on the ice?

Should I take the time to dig holes along the route to gauge ice thickness? Lugging an auger with me would surely suck. But is that the standard means of determining safe ice?

Advice and input is appreciated.
[signature]
From your pic looks like a critter has already crossed the lake. Best way to determine ice thickness is to drill a hole. If no auger present and unsure on thickness, step onto the edge of the ice to see if it holds your weight. Do t go out too far until you are sure it will hold you up. Some people throw rocks onto the ice, which is frowned on by many for the rocks will freeze in the ice and if someone is drilling a hole and hits said rock it can damage blades.
[signature]
I like to use an axe and hack the ice as I go. I have also used a pickaxe. Usually if it can withstand a good solid and straight blow I feel comfortable stepping a bit farther. You also have to take into consideration your personal weight and the weight of your gear. Clear ice is much stronger than clouded or slushy ice, but this is hard to tell when there is snow and slush on top. You have to drill a hole to see the ice quality in those cases.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/ice/thickness.html
[signature]
One word of caution: Keep in mind if you are wearing snowshoes, they will distribute your weight on ice like they do on snow. You may find yourself on thin ice that would not support your weight if you weren't wearing the snowshoes.

I carry a very sturdy walking stick when I'm on the ice. I have placed a large nail in the tip and I can test the ice as I go. It also helps walking and pulling a sled. If you are unsure of the ice thickness, stay near shore so if you do go through you can stand up and get yourself out of the water. Don't go out alone if you can avoid it.

Mike
[signature]
Pretty simple. Stay off the ice if you don't know what you are doing or go with someone who does. Even though the ice could be 8" at the bank, any where there are springs could be 1" thick. Unless you know how to use a spud bar to continually check the path in front of you and have checked the thickness to begin with, you are in danger of leaving your family without a loved one. I lost a good friend who knew how to check the ice but ice changes, even daily. One slip can be fatal.
[signature]
Striking the ice with an axe at routine distances makes sense, thanks for that pointer. I'll keep that in mind. Keeping the ice axe strapped to ones self also is a good idea so that if someone did fall thru, they'd at least have a fighting chance at getting out.

I did carefully venture out onto the lake with snowshoes and it was plenty thick and strong. There was 2-3 inches of powder snow on top which I easily was able to brush away. The ice underneath certainly had the typical "strong" appearance. Which makes sense considering the temperatures which have been in place in the Stanley area for weeks now (WELL below zero 'F at nights). And I wasn't the first one to be on the ice, either. Other snowshoe/ski tracks were already present when I got there.

Again, thanks for the advice.
[signature]
i have a uncle who once ice fished Redfish lake. He had a 36 inch auger and said he was bairly able to get through the ice. he was fishing around the fish hook creek inlet. unsure on the time of year. In that area were they get those fridged temps I am sure the ice is safe but a good discussion none the less.
[signature]
[quote MMDon]Pretty simple. Stay off the ice if you don't know what you are doing or go with someone who does. Even though the ice could be 8" at the bank, any where there are springs could be 1" thick. Unless you know how to use a spud bar to continually check the path in front of you and have checked the thickness to begin with, you are in danger of leaving your family without a loved one. I lost a good friend who knew how to check the ice but ice changes, even daily. One slip can be fatal.[/quote]

This ^. Ive ice fished for 5 years now and Im still not comfortable with gauging ice. I won't fish early ice for that reason. Consequences are too big.
[signature]
I have 30 years or more on the ice. Safety is job 1. I always wear ice picks around my neck. I always carry a rope in my sled. I wear an self inflate pfd when ever the ice is sketchy. I use a spud bar to poke the ice with every step when I'm fishing new water or early ice. Every year I see people taking risks they don't even know exist and I just SMH. Ice fishing is one of the funnest experiences you can have but as my friend John perished under the ice at PaliSades, it comes with very serious consequences with one wrong step. Be careful and be safe!
[signature]