Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mackay
From Idaho Falls and toying with the idea of taking a trip to ice fish. My son turned 16 today and that is what he wants to do. Can anyone give an update on Mackay, including thickness of the ice. All we have is a basic hand auger.

Thanks.
[signature]
Last thing i heard was 20-22 inches of ice. I would highly recommend a power auger for this time of year up there if i were you. Not that you cant hand auger through it but it really sucks. Mackay is the reason i broke down and bought a power auger.
[signature]
how has the fishing been[reply][/reply]
[signature]
Did anyone fish Mackay last weekend? Just wondering if I can use my atv to get around on the lake . How much snow and slush on top of the ice ? Going tomorrow for the first time this year .
[signature]
I was out there yesterday for a while. There were a couple four wheelers on the ice. There was a little slush here and there but not to bad, maybe an inch or two. Good luck to ya.
[signature]
Thanks I will report when I get back .
[signature]
Fished 6 hours and landed 3 fish 2 small Kokanee and one Brookie . I missed a few bites . If they get anymore snow on the ice , atv's will be done .
[signature]
Were you fishing down by the boat ramp or the upper part of the lake? I was there Sunday an between 4 of us we landed 43 kokanee but didn't get into any trout.
[signature]
I was in the North end of the shantys at the main boat dock . Fished for 1.5 hours and never seen a fish on the finder .So I moved close to the bank to try for trout . Talked to several people and know one else was catching fish . There was one group on snow machines that did well where the river comes in on the North End .
[signature]
Its amazing what a difference a couple days makes!
[signature]
I met and fished with 2 men that limited out on Kokanee in two hours two days before . They never had a bite the hour and a half I fished with them . So I moved close to the bank and caught the fish I did .
[signature]
That seems be the way the kokanee are, if you are in the right place when they by, your chances are good for catching them but they don't always follow the same path every day. One thing that I have noticed is that some times they will come in in big schools on my fish finder but won't bite no matter what I use. I've kind of decided those are smaller fish, likely hatched the year before and for what ever reason those fish just won't bite. Had that happen several times yesterday, while fishing a koke lake. Sure is frustrating when you see them like that[Sad].
[signature]
Fished it on 1/30 from 8 to noon. Fairly steady action until 11:30. It seems to be slowing down, but still good fishing. Super light bite; I missed 4 or 5 for every one I hooked, which made it all the more fun.
[signature]
It continues to fish well. Easy limits of kokanee on Friday and Saturday. Learned a harsh lesson by breaking an auger blade not having a backup. Wish I had time to make a Lord of the Rings meme: "One does not simply drill through 18" of ice with only one blade on one's auger."

PM for details.
[signature]
Curious to know how you broke the auger blade. Perhaps your experience could save others some frustration?
[signature]
I dropped it from a height of 6-8" and must have caught it at just the right angle. Snapped right in the middle.
[signature]
How is the snow depth and slush ? Will I be able to get around on an atv , or should I bring the snow machine ? I want to fish the north end tomorrow where the river comes in .
[signature]
8" of crusty snow. No slush last weekend, but the water comes up out of the holes. There were quads on the ice that had no trouble.
[signature]
Had fun today kept 6 , 3 kokanee, 3 rainbows . There a alot of kokanee , I just can't hook them . They bite lighter than perch . The guy fishing next to me had the touch . He limited out in about an hour . He said he has been doing good at Ririe also .
[signature]
The people that know how to fish Mackey are getting limits of Kokanee . I just can't figure out that light bite . The edges are soft in the afternoon . 20+ inches of ice 6 ' off shore .
[signature]