Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter Carp
Got into some nice winter carp the last little while. The last 4 images are from yesterday when it was finally sunny and I managed a quick session while conditions were ideal. One nice 24" carp to start things off and a massive 30" fish that was approaching 20 lbs to tops things off and give me a new personal best fish. Took a while to land and was 30 feet into my backing for a while. Lots of fun and hung out with my dad.
[signature]
Nice fish!
[signature]
Awesome fish!! And I'm sure a great fight on the fly!
[signature]
Awsome! what type of patterns were you using?
[signature]
Glo bugs and worms have been my best patterns so far this year. They will eat larger, more nymph-like flies pretty well though once it's warm. The Headstand fly is a personal favorite for carp fishing. I've caught carp, catfish, bass up to 5 lbs, bluegill, green sunfish and white bass all while fishing it.
[signature]
Is it fair to ask where you caught these monsters, or are you keeping that a secret? Also, you mentioned the weather, but does time of day make a difference?
[signature]
Nice, they put up a fun fight.
[signature]
What set up are you using for carp? Would a 6wt rod handle them okay or are you using heavier?

Thanks,
T.B.
[signature]
5 or 6 wt rods are what I have always used (except for a little 2 wt on occasion). I have never felt like I am undergunned with a 5 or 6. But some of it is personal preference. I like 3x fluorocarbon best for tippet with a 7.5 foot 3x mono leader.
[signature]
Cool! Thanks man!
[signature]
I used a 6 wt with no problems, until I hooked a big one and it took to the current. The 6 just didn't have the backbone to move the fish.
I use 8wts for carp now.
[signature]
I am with you Josh. I have used a 6 and it does fine (keep tip down, fight with Butt) But an 8 wt is an all around better choice. I use Shark Skin Magnum line and a self made furled leader with 8lb P-Line fluoro. I also use a CGR 7/8 wt rod. But basically I don't know when I will get a bigger one and I do fish a dropper and have hooked 2 over 28" long on one rod.
[Image: IMG_3486_zpsjgoujjpb.jpg]
[Image: 20140221_084516_zps459931ca.jpg]
[Image: 20140201_125342_zps09cc3597.jpg]
[signature]