Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake 1-30-16
It was a white-knuckle drive from around Cherry Hill all the way to Bear Lake. It took us from about 5:00 AM to over 9:00 AM to get there. Catching was not fantastic, but I have had far worse days up there. I managed to land 7 macks and 1 cutthroat. The largest mack was 27 1/2 inches and the cutt was around 22 inches. Coming home was a little better but we still encountered many slick roads and some heavy snow fall. Where we fished, on the south end, the ice was about 3" thick and there was lots of slush in the afternoon.
[signature]
Sounds like a decent trip to me. Glad you traveled safely. What were you using?
[signature]
I caught all of the macks on a 3 1/2" white tube that I had painted some of the tail red, tipped with cisco that I caught a year ago. I caught the cutt on a 3 1/2" rainbow trout colored tube tipped with a night crawler. I fished in 65' of water and caught all of the macks right on the bottom and the cutt about 15' off of the bottom. The bites were very aggressive and most fish would hit multiple times. I reeled one mack up at least 10' when it got off, I dropped right back down and hooked it again.
[signature]
Was you on the east or west side?
[signature]
West
[signature]
Fishing sounded like a lot of fun, driving not so much. Did the ice seem okay at 3"? Later J
[signature]
[quote SkunkedAgain]

Did the ice seem okay at 3"?

[/quote]

As good as 3" can seem okay. I would prefer 4 to 6".
[signature]
Thanks Kent, maybe Friday will have enough to try the rock pile. Thanks again J
[signature]