Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here we go again
[quote Pharticus][quote gstott]...that would be a fun opportunity for me to have a bit more mobility than I normally do.[/quote]
What? Are you kidding me? You can't even kick in a straight line! Twice, TWICE, I've had to wade in and flip you back upright so you didn't drown!

Nobody should EVER allow you to operate a motorized watercraft.[/quote]

Now we both know I have entirely too much gear for that to have ever happened. Way too much weight to ever flip. Now the straight line thing may be debatable since in a tube you can't see where you're going. Besides, I always pick up my beer on the way home from fishing in Idaho.
[signature]
April 1st is just around the corner. When are we going to hear some more about this?

Raise the invasive species sticker price. Require a boat inspection stamp/tag. Have an education system like Utah does. There are so many things that can be done.

I don't get why if I get checked in Franklin I have to get checked again in Glendale or Twin...

At the very least allow kayaks/tubes/canoes with out motors. [Wink]
[signature]
[quote AlexB]
At the very least allow kayaks/tubes/canoes with out motors. [Wink][/quote]

I would be alright with that solution [Smile]

Seriously though, I hope we hear more soon. I haven't bought a license yet and I'd like to know before I shell out the money.
[signature]
Almost missed this one http://news.hjnews.com/allaccess/worst-c...4ab65.html

If I get inspected at the Franklin station then I'm good? 10 more days. I hope the canal companies don't shut down the lakes.
[signature]
That definitely had a little more info. I hope they can sort things out. I didn't see any mention of Condie or Winder, and the Twin Lakes president said reservoir in the singular form, so hopefully those ones will stay open. I wouldn't be terribly heartbroken if Twin was closed to boaters. I hardly ever go there because of the crowds, and when I do it's usually wading the trees from shore in the spring.

It may all be irrelevant for me though as there's a pretty good chance I'm moving to greener (literally) pastures. I have a job interview in Vermont coming up and they're paying for my wife and I to fly out and stay three nights, plus food and rental car. Sounds like I've got a good shot. Lake Champlain here I come [Wink]
[signature]
So channel 8 in Idaho Falls did a story on this last night on the nightly news. At first or should I say the last couple of years, I didn't think the County Commissioner's supported closing down the reservoirs due to the little bug, but, in the interview and story, even the county commissioner is supporting it. Here's the link to the story.

[url "http://www.localnews8.com/news/Franklin-County-may-close-down-reservoirs-to-protect-against-invasive-species/38735010"]http://www.localnews8.com/news/Franklin-County-may-close-down-reservoirs-to-protect-against-invasive-species/38735010[/url]

Once again our state legislators don't support Idaho's Sportsmen and women or any of the Idaho recreational activities. Sad that we cant get support on a critical issue like this.
[signature]
Well that doesn't sound good. I really, really need to move. At least I haven't shelled out the $100 for a license yet, though the prospects of staying south of the border for the season make me feel like this [unimpressed]

Well if they close all of them down, what's the point of even opening the main one on the border? It just seems stupid to close all the smaller reservoirs that have never had check points, and to not allow float tubes and canoes which were never required to be checked. And of course we finally have a good water year just in time to be turned away.
[signature]
The funding just isn't possible to put a station at every lake and reservoir. Franklin County may object, but if the state does it there for them why not at every lake in every county?

Once again I will say that this could be solved simply by requiring boats to show proof of an inspection before launching. Then it is up to the boaters to get that inspection at the border where the regular stations are.

All it would take is to set up a written proof or boat seal system such as Wyoming uses.
[signature]
I would agree with what you say here, but, for those many many users of the lakes, that don't come across the stateline through the check station, and don't have a check station within hundreds of miles, how do you or what would you propose to be able to get a check on your boat that you are clean? That's a big question and issue, but, I would agree.

Not to knock our neighbors to the south, but, I have heard many stories of folks being able to skirt the border check station by just taking a back road and they are in. One proof of being checked and then going into an infested water between Idaho uses can literally defeat the whole process.

I think it's going to take one irrigation dam/pipe to get infested in Idaho and plug the system with the little creachers to then get our legislature off their back side to support the program.

Not sure what the solution is, but Friday is close and I guess we will see what happens.
[signature]
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I did fish those lakes as a kid. It's not a state issue. It is a canal company mandate. Seems to me if you could work out a way to have rental boats on those waters it would be beneficial to all parties. It has worked in San Diego for 30 years.
[signature]
Fridays decision will determine my course load this semester hahah.
[signature]
Oh wow! Am I reading this right and they are going to close all Frankiln County reservoirs and not just Twin lakes?

I will be asking for my $100 back. Plus the $7 for the invasive species sticker.[frown]

Is this the only place in the country doing this?
[signature]
We will find out Friday. I'm in the same boat, no pun intended. I may not be in a boat at all. I have my decal, park pass and license. Just waiting for the weather to break but now there may be another hurdle.
[signature]
Damn. I already bought my hundred dollar license. I bought waders and flippers and a tube. All I fish is the Preston area. If they close these off, I'll have lost my one and only pass-time.

If the tv news info is accurate, sacrificing 2-3 million in revenue to avoid a $90k expense seems a bit like cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.
[signature]
If any of you are the proactive type, here's the contact info for the Twin Lakes Canal Company Board members:

Board Members
Clair Bosen, President (208) 852-1612

Wesley Beutler, Director (208) 747-3569

Jim Naylor, Director (208) 852-2087

Judy Phillips, Secretary (208) 852-0415

Logan Tripp, Watermaster : Cell Phone (208) 339-5050

Ivan Jensen, Manager Cell Phone (208) 339-5051 Home 747-3483

Reed Swann , Watermaster (208) 852-2295
Board Meetings
The Twin Lakes Canal Company board meets every 1st Wednesday of each month at 2 North State in Preston, Idaho.
If you need an appointment to meet with the board call 852-0415.
Our annual meeting for all stock holders is the 1st Monday in February at 10:00 A.M. in the Clifton Community Center.
[signature]
Also, don't forget that the Consolidated Canal Company manages Glendale, Foster, Johnson and Lamont. Contact information for them is:

President: Brian Jensen
Manager: Lyle Porter
Phone: 208-852-2364
208-339-0516
208-852-0562
33 S 1st E
Preston, Idaho 83263-1301
[signature]
Excellent information! I didn't think about posting that.
[signature]
I understand what you are saying about the present check system. It can be skirted, and there is no proof that you didn't. That is why I like Wyoming's system. When you transport a boat into Wyoming it is your responsibility to get it checked. You can get it checked at the border stations, or by appointment at G&F offices, or by appointment with a private certified inspector.

When your boat is inspected it has a seal placed on it...I think between the boat and trailer. You are also given a seal receipt. In order to launch at lakes with a check point you have to show the seal and receipt. If you launch at a non checked lake you still have to keep and show both the seal and receipt with you as you maybe randomly checked.

All a canal company would have to do is put someone at the boat ramp to check and turn away any that don't have proof of inspection.
[signature]
Maybe for Twin Lakes it makes sense to have someone there. Problem is that most reservoirs are small and you can't have someone there all the time.

Maybe they should let the fish and game people go around and check to make sure you have been inspected and ticket you if you haven't. This might take a change in the law because I don't think you are required to have been inspected before you launch right now.

Obviously this will also require you to have a visible document in your vehicle similar to what Utah or Wyoming do. Maybe the passport can be left open with the date stamp on it.

Someone dropped the ball here because they should've been working on these rules last year and not waited until now to say they are not opening the ponds.

Right now I think they should just allow people in like normal until they get tighter rules in place. I can understand why they want to protect the lakes but shutting down shouldn't be an option. Most of this ponds don't get lots of traffic from people who have been to infected places. I do understand that it only takes one though.

Who would be in charge of this rules? Idaho fish and game I assume?
[signature]
Yes, down the line I think it would have to be added to the state inspections system.

I think a temporary system of an official inspection receipt could be done locally at the Southeast Idaho stations. All it would take then would be the canal company checking their launches and lakes.

They could have in their rules a right of refusal to allow launch without an inspection receipt at their lakes. They could even charge a small fee for launching to pay for their monitoring.
[signature]