Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here we go again
The canal company is not gonna spend their money so we can fish. It's their water and faculties, they were gracious enough to let fish and game plant fish there. Same thing at Oakley. Need volunteers and donated rental boats, that way they're making money off sportsman.
[signature]
I think all of these suggestions help down the road, but, once again, I ask the question, how do we get an inspection when the closest one is over a hundred miles from you and in the opposite direction from where you want to fish? Just trying to play the devils advocate here. Agree that the canal company isn't going to put out their own money to enforce something that isn't their fault. And, F&G isn't going to enforce, or cant as it isn't codified in their regulations. That falls under a different agency and I am not sure the legislature in Idaho will move that burden under F&G on top of all the stuff they have to do now.

The County and other groups could get certified though and do volunteer work or put it under the County Sheriff. The counties get a lot of waterways money from the State so why not codify it locally and when the sheriff is checking boat stickers and ramps that's when they can enforce it. A few tickets for non-compliance on this one and it would really get around and put a stop to folks putting in without the inspections.

By codifying locally with the State Agency approval over the program, the fine money would go right back into the county programs and support the inspection program.
[signature]
There's always that 10 percent who screws it up for everybody. I hear that they have made it to flaming gorge. Just a matter of time before they get into the snake. I'm really surprised Idaho power isn't playing better defense. No members or lurkers of this forum will transport the nasty little critters. Can't blame the canal companies for their positions. On a positive note, bank fishing outta improve.
[signature]
Flaming Gorge? Really? Where did you hear that?
[signature]
I thought it was Lake Powell, but I could be wrong.
http://archive.sltrib.com/story.php?ref=...a.html.csp
[signature]
A person at every launch is possible. Every boat launch in Colorado has been either closed or is gated and has hours to launch. There is a person checking seals and boats at every launch. If the gate is closed you don't launch or if your still on the water your stuck til the next day. Sucks for ducking hunting and for trying to fish right at daylight but thats life.
It would be better than nothing, though I'd miss out on the best time for big fish on either side of that window.
[signature]
No news yet?

I actually wish they would extended or even push back the season from maybe middle of April to October.

If we had warmer weather I'd be out today. Water is pretty cold still.
[signature]
The boat check stations are open, if that means anything.
[signature]
I saw several boats out on Treasureton today as I drove by. I'm really hoping that it's just Twin if something closes.
[signature]
I know the station at Franklin is open, but, did they open the ones at Twin and Glendale? Or does anyone know what the Canal companies and County decided on? I still think they could keep these closed for a while and push the open date on the water back a bit since water is still so cold. As folks have said, might miss a few big ones now but, to have the full height and glory times for everyone would be great. Either way I can support it as long as we can get on at some point.
[signature]
I planned on heading up today, but the rules are still somewhat unclear to me at this point. I've gotten in touch with representatives from both of the irrigation companies that operate in Franklin County. No changes have been made from launch rules which were set in place last Fall.

The Consolidated Irrigation Company is holding a meeting tomorrow to decide what course of action they will take for the year. Still no word from Twin Lakes Canal Company. A recent article provides no new info, except that the state mussel program has been awarded a 71% increase in funding since last year......

[url "http://www.capitalpress.com/Idaho/20160405/mussel-threat-spurs-plans-to-block-boats-from-reservoirs"]http://www.capitalpress.com/Idaho/20160405/mussel-threat-spurs-plans-to-block-boats-from-reservoirs[/url]

Hoping for the best. On top of the pricey out of state license and 20$ invasive species sticker, Id still be willing to pay to launch my boat if that's what it takes.
[signature]
According to the article, they are looking at hiring a guard to check for stickers. If they can afford to hire some one to just check for a sticker, then they should be able to have the check station at the reservoirs shouldn't they? At least it's a suggestion/solution to part of the issue. Also, not sure how F&G on this issue can keep planting fish with public monies and to keep improving the access points with public money if they allow the companies to just close the lakes without some sort of compensation. Looks to me like there should be some sort of win win if all parties, including all affected State Agencies would pony up money to check the boats. I can see what the State is saying though that no infected boats have been found so why keep the station, yet I can see the companies position to of prevention and it just takes one boat. A tough situation all the way around. I hope they make the right decision and all the affected agencies have the right in put.
[signature]
Got an email from Twin Lakes Canal company today and they said that they wouldn't know what they were going to do for about 10 -14 days. They said to contact them then and they hoped to have an answer by then. So, it kind of contradicts the article link above. I guess we will see. Does anyone know if any boats are getting on Twin, Glendale, Foster, Johnson, or Lamont yet or do they have them gated/closed?
[signature]