Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to fish?
Hey everybody I just moved to idaho falls from Sacramento. Im not teally too familiar with the area and was wondering where I should go to fish? I should mention im not a fly guy (although I plan to learn soon) and I dont have a boat. The only places ive fished so far is the snake river near the falls and ryder park. So if anybody could help out a idaho newb it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
[signature]
What types of gear do you have? Wadders? Float Tube? ect.

What type of water do you want to fish? Lake? Creeks? Big Water on rivers?

Answer to those can dictate where to direct you.

Hint leave the CA reference out of posts. Wink Speaking from living in that area for over 30 years there is a offishness for Utards and Californians so you're likely to get a better response if its left out.
[signature]
I dont mind fishing any way... rivers/lakes/streams etc. I just wanna catch some fish (not 10-12 in planters) ... and as far as the CA reference, I can't help where I was born. I just was giving my background, if guys dont wanna respond because im from ca, thats fine im not into profiling or stereotypes im just a family man who wants to catch some fish... also no waders/ float tube, just knee high wading boots
[signature]
Welcome to the board.

Doesn't matter where you're from. Don't know why it was even brought up.

Maybe try Americans Falls? Never been there but it's on my to try list.
[signature]
Thanks ill have to check it out!... took my 2 oldest to ryder park today. Caught a dozen or so small rainbows on powerbait/eggs on a 2 ft leader with a sliding sinker setup. Alsoo hooked one nice cutt about 4-5 lbs but it poped off my spoon at the bank... gonna get out by myself on sunday and scout out a few spots maybe head up to the south fork.
[signature]

[signature]
Great pics. Thanks for sharing, and welcome to Idaho!! Mike
[signature]
Thanks mike!
[signature]
Welcome to the area! I am in Pocatello, so I am much more familiar with the waters down here. Check out the local river and lake reports published by Element Outfitters for some pretty reliable information on where to fish and the species present. These were very helpful to me when I was new to the area. Here's the link: http://content.elementoutfitters.com/cat...fishing/
[signature]
Welcome aboard!!

I'm in SW Idaho so not much help for over in the SE. A lot of folks on here are from over there and I'm sure they would like to help a Newbie.

I would be willing to bet if we did a poll on here, you wouldn't find a lot of true Idahoans, but we all love this state and accept all fishermen with open arms. Glad to have you aboard!!
[signature]
Some great pictures!

Welcome. I certainly don't care where you were, just that you are an Idahoan now. Lots of big waters in the Idaho Falls area. Most of the smaller streams that flow into the South Fork are closed until later in the year.

The South Fork is you best bet for fish of size, but if you want a "Family" stream to take the kids to look up Birch Creek. It is west of IF on the other side of the desert out there.

It's a good stream for kids to learn on and is great for beginning flyfishing too if you do decide to get into that. Just don't expect much on fish size. 7 to 10 inch fish are going to be the average.
[signature]
Awesome! Thanks for the info everyone. I will post reports anytime I can get out. And if anyones headed west im willing to give any knowledge I have of northern California and nevada fishing (which is alot btw)
[signature]
Welcome to the forum. I live in Idaho Falls also and have for 8 years. I have found good fishing in the area. Trout, small mouth bass, walleye, and kokanee are the species I chase. Most of my fishing is from a boat during the summer, spring and fall. There are a lot of places to fly fish if you're into that.

Ice fishing was really good last winter at Ririe Res. and they upped the limit to 15. I like fishing it because it's so close. Henry's lake is and excellent trout fishery but requires about 1 1/2 hr travel to the north. Blackfoot Res. and Chesterfield Res. are to the south and have nice sized trout. There certainly are some big Browns and Rainbows in the Snake below town, they bite best during their spawn. They are spawning right now.

Hope you enjoy your time in Eastern Idaho and if you have specific questions about fishing don"t hesitate to contact me through this forum

----jim
[signature]
So I'm the bad guy for saying it. [cool] guy has 200 views and no reply is a couple days till I made the comment and everyone speaks up.

So like pierce said, for kids and fam fishing birch creek is a great place to go. Loads of fish, 6-12 inch Brooke's and bows. There's a few bigger ones to be found if you know where but they are far and few between.

Right now due to cut throat restrictions most of your creeks are closed till July 1st. With out a boat or chest waders your going to want to stick to bank fishing on the snake. Get out of down town and go up on the south fork by heise. Lots of good spots right now, worms or rapalas in perch, gold, and silver work well this time of year when the water is a little off color. If you want to drive a little further go up to swan valley and take the dirt road right before the bridge as you drop in the valley and fish the south fork along there.
Henry's (north fork) up around Ashton will have decent fishing until spring run off blows it out.

If you want a bigger place than Ryder look up Roberts gravel pond. It's chucked full of perch and has tiger trout in it also. It's maybe 15 min north on I15.

Shoot me a pm if you have specific questions and I'll be glad to help out.
[signature]
Thanks Jim! When you say below town are you referring to the south fork or downstream towards blackfoot? Im just trying to really figure out whats what.
[signature]
Downstream from town has some good spots. The one that comes to mind is easily accessible and by the road. Fishermen are usually around the area where the bridge crosses the Snake on the road that goes to Dad's Truck stop(Flying J) from Yellowstone highway south of town. Best way to get there is to get on Yellowstone highway and head south through the intersection and lights where Sunnyside crosses Yellowstone. Keep going south until the next lights, take a right and within a mile you'll cross the Snake. I see guys fishing both sides of the bridge.

Another spot that I have been told that is good is the area just below the dam section
south of town. That is close to the area by the bridge I just mentioned, just a little down river. I don't know exactly how to get there myself, so someone else may have to give you directions. You probably could find it your self with a little scouting.

Hope this helps.

----jim
[signature]
Thanks bmarsh and jim. Thats good info. Thank you!
[signature]
I e been meaning to reply since your original post but life kept interfering. Now I've got some down time. All the recommendations so far are good. I would also recommend blacktail east of town. Just take Lincoln rd and drive into the foothills until you hit the parking lot. Only 20-25 minutes. It's the upstream side of Ririe res and has perch, bass, trout, and Kokanee. Check out my Ririe report from today but I warn you the pics may be graphic for some. I would tell you to pm me through here and I'd be happy to take a few places I fish but I'm afraid I'm outta commission for a bit.
[signature]