Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deadwood
Anyone know if any of the roads into Deadwood are open yet? I was thinking of trying it this weekend.
[signature]
I tried last weekend, still a lot of snow coming over the Scott mountain route. Didn't try bear valley though because I saw just how much snow was on the ground coming in from the Cape Horn way. Might be able to get over Scott this weekend though with the high temps!
[signature]
[quote Tywickk]I tried last weekend, still a lot of snow coming over the Scott mountain route. Didn't try bear valley though because I saw just how much snow was on the ground coming in from the Cape Horn way. Might be able to get over Scott this weekend though with the high temps![/quote]

Would you mind being more specific? How far up the SM road did you go? How deep was the last drift you tried to go through? Etc. PM is okay if you don't want to say openly.

And, Oh yah, Welcome to the forum!
[signature]
I went over the summit, when I started coming down the other side there was a few drifts about 2 feet deep. Didn't know how many more were ahead so turned around not wanting to spend the night up there lol. Might take a drive in from the north of it this weekend so I'll let you know how that goes. To put it in perspective there was 2 feet of snow on the ground everywhere at the bull trout lake CG at banner summit.

And thanks! I've been looking at this site for a long time now so I thought it was time to give back some info to everyone
[signature]
I wouldn't count on that road being open before Scott Mt. There is an avalanche zone you'd have to go through. When we went through on snowmobiles in March I'd say there was 10 feet plus of snow on the road there. Took us 4 hours to travel ~1 mile down hill on snowmobiles. Now understand that we weren't on up to date snowmobiles and we are inexperienced riders, but even so......... 4 hours is a long time to go a mile. I'd just be doubtful if it will clear our before the other unless they plow it or something.

Also, I emailed DW outfitters. They said nobody has traveled the road in a wheeled vehicle yet and they are anticipating June 1 or so before it could happen. I think they'd have a good feel for it, but who knows.

Either way, if you try, I'd like to hear about it.
[signature]
Regarding the road thru Bear Valley, there's a gate on that road that the forest service keeps locked well into May or June (I think). I attempted to drive in last year when the snow was almost entirely gone, and that gate was still locked.

You can call the Ranger Station in Lowman to get the latest update. But based on my experiences last year, I wouldn't count on that road being accessible to a wheeled vehicle for a while.
[signature]
has anyone given a the idea of going thru warm lake way .just a idea sometimes it was the best road to deadwood.
[signature]
Deadwood summit still has over 60 inches, the snotel is right off the road. Who knows the extent of avalanches, warm lake route is last to open, if it's really bad they run a grader through for 4th of July. War hawk and that side is gated, the worst part of scott is after the summit headed in. Banner will probably be the first to open, if you try bring a chainsaw and be competent enough to cut through 48"+ diameter deadfall
[signature]
Probably still gonna be a few weeks or more. Last year the road through Warm Lake didn't open until about the 3rd week in June.
[signature]
Gonna try from Warm Lake this weekend. Sure we won't make it, but since we have a place in Cascade now, just dying to explore that country. Anyone get in from another direction over holiday weekend?
[signature]
My friend went to check warm lake last Friday, still snowed in from that way. Gates are closed through Lowman route.
[signature]
Okay. I was going to keep it to myself, but that would be really selfish and since there seems to be a lot of interest, I'll spill.

The owners of Deadwood Outfitters emailed me last night and said that the road through Bruce Meadows is open. That is the only open road for now. Won't be long, though, and the others will open up too. I'm planning to go next weekend for a couple 3 days or so.

Edit: I might mention that he was talking about the road to the lodge, not necessarily the lake. But I think it is a good bet that if you can get to the lodge, you should also be able to get to the lake as well.
[signature]
Just for something to do, I drove up Scott Mtn this morn. Still a while out yet.
[signature]
So apparently nobody has been in on the "open" road?
[signature]
Talked to Valley County Highway, 2 slides on the Landmark Stanley road, they will go up and look at it middle of next week, very latest they will open it is week before the 4th. Talked to Valley County Road & Bridge, only route they know is Fir Creek.
[signature]
I went in through Bruce Meadows and out through Warm Lake. Both roads were not that bad, IMHO. There was one spot on the way out through Warm Lake that was wet/muddy and had snow on both sides of a narrow slit to get through, but it was super short and not a big deal. It is my understanding that all the paths in/out are now open.

If you go, good luck. What a beautiful place. Wish I was still there.
[signature]
Was also up there this weekend. Fish are very scatterd, not picking up any schools. Really had to work for them. Rumor is Fish and game is worried they won't even get their egg quota out of there, they haven't been spawning in the creeks, been to dry. No one I talked to was killing them. There are fish to catch but it's tough.

We fished from 630-7 to dark with a few hour breaks, Never limited out. Lot's of trout but when you're kokanee fishing that's a trash fish. Tried every color and combo, fished the entire lake and never marked one big school. We would hook up at 55 feet and then get one at 20 feet 30 minutes later.
The road is OK, a small trailer is fine but a long trailer will be tough, you would need to clean the dead fall to maneuver and take some of the rough section slow.
If you plan on going and killing them with easy fishing like last year don't waste your time. Last year we would have 50 before lunch.
If you're wife doesn't want to spend 12 hours on the boat you wont be bringing a load home.
You will need down riggers or really know where your sinking line is.
[signature]