Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rod holder glue for kayak?
I'm asking this on the float tube forum because you guys have experience with various glues and types of plastic. My son wants to mount a Scotty rod holder base on an emotion spitfire ride on top kayak. What type of glue do I need?

Believe me I tried to talk him into a tube but he marches to the beat of his own drummer😄

Thanks
Windriver
[signature]
[#0000FF]Have you checked with the manufacturer of the kayak? If the shell is vinyl you can use an adhesive rated for vinyl. I think Loctite makes a good one.

If the hull is strong enough, you may be able to drill a couple of holes and bolt it down...using a layer of silicone sealer between the hull and mount.

Otherwise, you could probably get the job done with any good waterproof epoxy.

Another good argument for float tubes and PVC.

Good luck.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks. Good suggestions.

Windriver
[signature]
I concur with TubeDude on the mountings.

Since the Emotion Spitfires are hard plastic, there is no harm in drilling a few small holes and sealing them with silicone. It will not affect the integrity of the floatation of the Kayak.

I had a 2 man Malibu tandem kayak for a few years. I actually mounted the Scotty deck mount rod bases. I had 4 of them mounted so that I could troll a line will rowing and have the other rods on stand by when the bite was hot in the ocean.

Silicon was enough to keep any water seepage. You can always supplement your rod holder abillies with the Pvc tubing in the milk crate technique too. You will only limit your casting depending on your type of fishing.

When I am flyswatting from the Yak or tube, I prefer to keep the other rods on a low profile or even on a horizontal rack. I go the horizontal idea from TubeDude. He is a genius when it comes to crafting ideas for any type of floatation device.

He also make a good TubeDad. [cool]
[signature]
Sta-Bond. Great stuff and way stronger.
[signature]