Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carp on the fly
Hey all. Just curious if anyone is willing to share some tips and favorite fly patterns for catching carp on a fly? I'm gonna go out and do some carpin' and have a pretty good idea on what I'm doing, but having never done it, I thought I'd see if someone would be kind enough to impart some knowledge. Thanks in advance for your help!
[signature]
Send Flygoddess a pm, bet she'll help.
[signature]
I fish 3 main flies for carp which have rarely failed me, and often I fish all three at once:

1. Egan's Headstand

2. Glo Bug

3. Bactrian worm - basically a San Juan with 2 humps tied on the top.

Also bread flies, cottonwood flies, elk hair caddis, hoppers all have their place
[signature]
Dog biscuit and corn fly.

For tons of info FG is your best chance because she tough me how to catch them.
[signature]
I fish for carp daily. I am addicted to the tug. I use several flies, with one called the Dog Biscuit I introduced a few years ago. Many people have made their own rendition of it. Great dry fly if they are rising, but don't leave out Trout flies. They work too, you just have to place it in the right spot at the right time.
I even fish Chironomids for them.
[Image: IMG_3518%202_zps0z53qrv9.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3591_zps95cqurya.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3551_zpszxvqwel9.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3526_zpssku9l55s.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1519_zpsjfw6n6gh.jpg]
[signature]
Awesome pictures! I need to get into some of those for sure! I live close to the Jordan River and have not tried it yet. I will have to go see what I can do.

Do you have a video or a picture of what that dog biscuit fly looks like? I really appreciate the help! I am sure we will bump into each other on the water soon enough if you are out there everyday.
[signature]
Here is a You Tube. It doesn't have to be neat at all, just flat on the bottom.
https://youtu.be/FbzHE78dKro
[signature]