Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Planer Boards
The Cabela's in Farmington does not have any planer boards in the store yet, I went to look and they do not carry them yet.
[signature]
I don't think I would have ever thought to call it a floating downrigger but essentially that's exactly what it is. Planer board is attached to the mini mast real that's lined with 100 pound braid and run out the side of the boat. You then attach your rod and reel line to a release shown in slide 6. You then attach the shower curtain clip to the braided line and run out to the side of your boat. Fish hits the line that then comes out of the release and the board stays off to the side of the boat. I have 10 releases so after all of those are all used up you simply reel in the planner board, recover your clips and repeat the process.

Been fishing this method for all species for seven years and this is the best I found. Only downside is they are slightly larger to store in a already cramped boat.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I'll be blunt and probably upset some on here - planer boards that clip to the fishing line suck. They are an abomination. That's why I use a set I built that are let out and left out. All I do is attach a release clip (think downrigger type release) to the fishing line and let it slide out to the board. When a fish strikes, the fishing line is pulled from the clip and all you fight is the fish. To reset, you just attach another clip and slide it out to the board. I carry a mixture of about 18 home made clips and commercial clips. When I have used all of them (hasn't happened yet) I pull the boards in, remove all the clips, and start over again.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]You can find the plans to these boards that I posted in 2008 at this[/#800000][/font] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=415914;search_string=planer;#415914"]link[/url]. [font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]You can build 2 different sizes from these plans and I would recommend the smaller size as most suitable for Utah fishing. You can let the boards out on a separate rod/reel loaded with any suitable line or build or buy a Bert's Planer board mast (mine is the double reel model).[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."