Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South fork snake info
Im thinking about hitting the south fork soon, ive never been there before but keep reading and hearing how many fish there is and the size as well. Ive been recently fishing the snake all over from IF to blackfoot catching tiny rainbows and decided its time to try north. My problem is the only info i can find is for fly fishing. I dont have a boat or fly fish and seems to not be any info about bank fishing with lures or bait. Can anyone help me out? Any info is greatly appreciated you can PM if you'd rather. Thanks!
[signature]
Southeast Idaho has a new fishing retailer - Idaho Fishing Outfitters located almost on the banks of the South Fork of the Snake river just off of highway 20 south of the Lorenzo Bridge.

They specialize in all types of fishing, not just fly fishing and can give you current fishing reports and what's working and what's not when it comes to bait, lures and flies.

Give them a call at 208/521-1511

Best of luck!

Kelly.
[signature]
Fish it quite a bit try using big rapalas and spinners go down by the bridge should do goood
[signature]
The river out of the dam at PaliSades is running at 11,700 CFS. That is crank in'. This makes wade fishing or bank fishing a lot more difficult. If you wade be careful. There are limited access points from the dam to conant boat launch. It can be done, but not easy. I fish the south fork in March and November when the flows are less than 2000. Good luck
[signature]
The river is high, but it is definitely clear enough to fish. May want to hit the little pull out by twin bridges and at Lorenzo you can walk up and down the river a bit. There's no getting around it though, there's a ton of water coming down now. However I'm sure there's still some fish to be caught. I'd use big rapalas, big jigs (like 1/4 ounce to 1/2 ounce aren't out of the question) I like white jigs. Stuff like that, something that's not going to get blown out of the water. Let us know how you do!
[signature]
let me ask. a jig with a bobber on it or a jig like for bass fishing fishing off the bottom. also is it better fishing in slower moving water like big deep holes or just any where along the river bottom that looks fishable. I'm just wondering my self. I've been down to one of the boat docks down there and have caught a ton of little ones with a worm, but that is it.
[signature]
You would be better off Fishing this time of year on PaliSades Resevoir. There doing pretty good right now, even from the bank. I would not go neither the river without a boat right now, your just ask for trouble.
[signature]
Bank fishing the south fork when it's above 5k fps is a bit rough. There's a few points but I would not wade in. Countdown rapalas size 7 and 9, gold, silver, perch, brook, brook and Browns do well this time of year.
[signature]
Awesome thanks for all the great tips! Im gonna go give it a shot on Saturday. I just stocked up from cabelas thanks to $100 gift card I got for my birthday haha. I got a couple countdown size 9's a couple other jerkbaits and some 1/4 bouyants, cleos and kastmasters. A bunch of panther martins and some other random stuff. Should find something they wanna eat. Im still debating where to start though, bieng new to the area im not really familiar with any of the bridges or turnouts mentioned.
[signature]
I usually focus around Swan Valley. Just above the bridge that crosses the river I've done ok but it's steep an not much bank to stand on. Another is right at the base of paliSades dam right up against the turbine doors. Early is best but I e done well all hours of the day at times.
[signature]
I would either call or go into the new fish shop there on the south fork already mentioned above. Do this the day before if you want to get out early, or make that your first stop of the day when you head up. They will give you what you need to know, and have a good feel for what is happening on the river. Sportsman's can have some good info as well if you talk to the right person.

Fishing from the bank is rough this time of year and will require some work, but I would say between twin bridges and heise bridge you cant go wrong. The spillway is a good option anywhere from the boat ramp up to the doors. I will be somewhere on that river memorial week, if not in a drift boat playing it safe and ensuring I get into some nice fish. My guide service of choice is The Lodge At PaliSades Creek, but that is really if you want to try your hand at fly fishing.
[signature]