Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Blue 06-01-16
Finally got a chance to get out for some BL fishing yesterday. Wiperslayer and I arrived around 7:30 am at Rainbow cove and shortly thereafter, we were fishing. Water temp was 51* when we arrived and was up to 57* as we were leaving. We mainly trolled the Cisco beach area, in 30 to 50 FOW. It wasn't the best active I've seen up there but it started off good with two back to back fish, one was a 20 cutt, the other a 21" mack. Thought it was going to be a hot day for catching but those two were all we got for several hours. We were mainly using down riggers for those deep fish but we also tried side planners and deep diving lures. Ira switched over to lead core line and had out 9 colors when he picked up a nice 27" cutt, on, believe it or not, a dodger and a squid lure. You could see the battle scars from the recent spawn, not sure if they show up in the attached pic. Anyway I picked up our last fish of the day an hour or so later. We were trolling around 1.7 to 2.2 mph. Before we called it a day, we tried jigging but only got a couple of hits and no hookups. My fish were caught on a SRG lure and a double jointed orange rapala. It was nice to get up there again, nice drive up, seeing some moose and deer but they were doing road construction on the way back.
[signature]
Nice cutt!! Give me Bear Lake any day over strawberry, catch rates are usually less, but the 24" class are very abundant.

Mike
[signature]
I couldn't agree more, I've stopped going to the Berry for the cutts but until BL gets some kokes, I'll still be going to the Berry for them[Wink].
[signature]
Hehehe.....agreed! The kokes at strawberry are worth the trip.

Mike
[signature]
We fished the same area on Monday and had a similar result. Hit the water about 6:30am fished until 11:00. Picked up a a cutt on the side planer trolling a deep diver. A little later we picked up a nice 24" cutt on the downrigger at 45' in 50 FOW. Let my little bro driver for a while and he took us out to 75 FOW and we picked up the best fish of the day, a 5.5# Mac on a gray ghost reef runner. Weather was beautiful. Saw a lot of boats trolling north of the State Marina towards the scout camp. Not sure if they were having any success.
[signature]