Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New ride
I got a replacement for my very old Creek Co Banana boat. Here it is the new sturgeon wagon.

[Image: Cougar%20small_zpsckgtizuz.jpg]

[Image: Img_0267_zpsbkvhzlkd.jpg]
[signature]
That's awesome Ron. That is going to be a smooth sail, I bet. We got rid of the X5 and downsized in our old age, LOL
[signature]
[#0000FF]You really did get a bigger boat. Now you are ready for the great white...sturgeon.

Hope it works well and that you enjoy many a tussle.

I just got a new Dave Scadden Escape. Still in the checkout phase and taking pictures. Report soon.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I still have my Steelheader I love that boat. I also have the sportsman 9 that I have had for a long time and now this one. The old banana boat was my first pontoon. The nylon is rotting out on the toons in places. I have been worried about it for some time. The only time I take it is to take a new guy into a hole.
I am going to use the one above since it has two pontoons an added measure of safety. It also floats in amazingly shallow water. It is also easier to pull than the nanner. When I pull the nanner with the steelheader I can get almost 5 MPH to right at 5 mph. With this boat I can get 5.7 mph to 6. I was kind of surprised. I will be interested to see your report.
[signature]
[#0000FF]The Escape is smaller than the Renegade...which I had for a while a couple of years ago. You need size for sturgeon. I need smaller for the kind of fishing I do. The Escape is just the right size. See pic.

Got it tricked out. Put a wooden frame inside the removable pockets to attach the modular rod holders and utility rack. Works great. My main problem right now is the same one I have always had with Scadden's inflatable seats. The slightest loss of air pressure and I slip right out the front. I have to add some kind of auxiliary seat and raise the front end to keep me in the seat. Shouldn't have to do that for the prices he charges.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
TubeDude,
You are a master of tricking out boats and attaching motors to them, etc. From reading your posts, you seem to be a still water fisherman, like me. I have had the Scadden Renegade for four years now. I'm not young (will be 70 this fall), but I just row it...motor, no battery. Most of the lakes I fish are not large...10 to 110 acres. The Renegade rows so easily I have not problem getting to any part of the lake I want to fish.

If you fish any small lakes, you might want to leave the motor and battery at home. In many ways it's a lot easier this way.

Thanks for all your posts and advice through the years.
[signature]
Looks great!! That boat would do numbers on sturgeon just like you have it. The Motor would give you some extra pull when it is needed. That is one thing I like about a boat with a electric motor. Extra pull when you have one snagged in a fin.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Everybody to their own tastes...said the old maid as she kissed the cow.

The great thing about fishing...and about propulsion systems...is that we are free to choose what suits us best...for our own styles of fishing.

By the way, I have a few years on you. But that is not the reason I started using a motor on my craft a few years ago. In former times, much of the fishing I did was on smaller waters...or in smaller defined areas of larger lakes. However, the lakes I fish most now...and the distances between where I launch and where I like to fish...often require more speed and range than I can get with fin power. And, while I am a pretty good oarsman, I almost never use the oars. They are not compatible with the PVC trinkets I can't do without...and I prefer hands-free fishing. I use my fins to maintain position and make minor moves.

I also had a Renegade for a while. Good craft, but just a tad too large to move around a lot with fin power alone. And again, I don't do oars much. I also had an Outcast Cougar...with the low profile air bladders. Loved it too, but again it was too much craft for my style of fishing.

One of the final reasons for going with the motor is for potential problems on the water. I am still in good health but I do have occasional "twinges" in my knee...or get muscle spasms in my legs. And if I need to work my way back a long distance...against the winds that always blow in the wrong direction...I am able to do so without a trip to the ICU.

As they say about taking a coat with you on a warm day..."Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Makes sense, Tube Dude. I'm not against using motors. I have an old Klamath 9' aluminum boat, and I use it with an electric motor.

You've got your fishing style really dialed in. Best to you, and thanks for all your advice and posts.
[signature]
Nice trick out ride TD. I have the Predator now as well for hike ins. 14 lbs is nice. 8 ft long.
My full function boat however is the Fuzion.
It is drop stitch material and tuff as heck. Full flat surface for tons of extras, and with frame I am only getting wet mid calf. And you can stand up. The flat design is like a suction cup on the water so it can take weight at the edge and still lay flat on the water.
[Image: h51_zpslbjh7ktg.jpg]
[Image: h6_zpspr0oeqv0.jpg]
[Image: h4_zpskphrhhko.jpg]
[Image: DSCN0960_zpscoupsfch.jpg]
And a built in motor mount
[Image: DSCN0888_zps7j0nbhvc.jpg]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Lookin' good. The Fuzion too.

I remember seeing you in it on one of your first trips out...on Deer Creek. Looks like you have added some refinements.

[inline "FLY FLINGER.jpg"]

[/#0000FF]
[signature]
That I did. The boat is functional without a frame and the cloth seats are super comfy. I got the frame last year which is nice for different oar positioning and as I said, sitting well out of the water. Most pontoons, the frame bends around the toons sitting you lower to the water. This frame is three piece flat so I sit like other pontoons.
I added to glue on Scotty mounts. One for my sonar and one for a three tree rod holder.
I did also get a SUP which I really like as well. It is a a canoe
[Image: DSCN1113_zpsopwtjegv.jpg]
a Kayak.
[Image: DSCN1116_zpsa0kfvp6n.jpg]
Stand Up Paddle Board
[Image: DSCN1122_zpsielggxrp.jpg]

Plus you can sit side ways and use fins.
And rolls up for transporting.
[Image: Joni_zpsalcvul3t.jpg]
[signature]
That is a cool setup. I guess having such a versatile and compactly carry craft would leave more room for goodies in the vehicle. I may opt for the longer version if Pokymon ever comes back out this way since we will need extra room for beer. [laugh][laugh][laugh]
[signature]