Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Fishing Question: Poll Size?
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#0000ff][size 2]I've never been Ice Fishing, & am going to give it a try, But? I am used to jigging for Big "Bad Boys" the Big Macks at Bear Lake, So my question is do they make different weight (small) ice-fishing polls, like they do for full size polls? ie.. Med. Med Hvy, Heavy etc:: I have 3 or 4 light duty Ice-fishing polls already, But I don't think they will work for me when it comes to Horsing in that Big Bad Boy! the Mack! So tell me, what kind of poll do I need to get? Or do I just take my Heavy rod?[/size][/#0000ff][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#0000ff][size 2] Any info about rods that might get me turned on to Ice-Fishing would be great! Its important to me to have the "Right Equipment" for the job:[/size][/#0000ff][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#0000ff][size 2] Thanks guys for any and all reply's[/size][/#0000ff][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]You'd beter find out how to rig up for Mr. BIG. You wouldn't want to mess around with tooth picks when one of these bad boys come your way BC![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][Image: BC-13lb-38in-400-i.gif][/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Hook-set is important for catching macks and I can't see where an ice fishing rod would ever do the job. I too am curious to see what stick everyone recomends to use when ice fishing for the big lunkers. [/size][/font]
[signature]
i hoping to take a trip to bear lake this fri. i'm planning on takeing a couple of my long poles to use
[signature]
Are there many big macks caught through the ice up there?
[signature]
Eagle Claw makes an ice rod that is too stiff for regular trout or pan fish but would work great for what you need. The best thing is it is cheap about $5.00. I have seen them at Sportsman's recently. I would be sure to add a rod tip indicator for the light hits that many fish give this time of the year. This rod has very large eyelets that don't freeze up like small ones do. Try it you'll like it!
[signature]
dks that is the rod id recomend, i brought a 7lber in on a light 24" trout rod last week and thought it was going to bust
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#0000ff][size 2]Old Coot: Trust you to find my mug in the archives, and pull it up, That trully was one Poll bending Mack. That was one Sweet Catch! Ya, your right, must have the Right Rod to land that Bad Boy's Twin. Lets see what the BFT guy's have to offer in the way of info![/size][/#0000ff][/font]
[signature]
I wish that you would have started this thread a week ago. I learned my lesson last Saturday. I fished Bear Lake with a heavy ice fishing rod of approximately 30 inches long. I couldn't get a mack hooked all day long (l lost several after reeling them up for a few feet) because I couldn't get enough leverage with that short of a rod to adequately set the hook. I will be using my regular jigging rod from now on when I fish through the ice at Bear Lake and when I make it up to Flaming Gorge.

I do have a question - is there any secret formula that one can put on rod tip of a regular fishing rod (smaller eyes that an ice fishing rod) to help keeping it from icing up?
[signature]
[size 2]Its called longer arms.[Wink][/size]
[signature]
Up in Oregon 2 years ago, I used to use this little ice rod that I had for the perch. Try as I might, them big pile perch kept on getting off. If you've ever seen em, their about 20" long and fight like heck. Anyway, the little rod didn't have any leverage. I switched to a big 6'6" rod this year, and I caught a ton of em. The big key with these fish, both lakers and sea perch, is that pull, and pull, and pull is that you need a larger rod to keep them on. If too much slack gets in the line, which occurs quite often for me with ice rods, the fish pop off. Therefor, I would recomend a nice big spinning rod.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Go buy an HT Ice Blue rod. They work great for macks. Here's a link:[/size][/font] [center][font "Arial Rounded MT Bold"][size 4][url "http://htent.com/Ice%20Rod%20Pages/IBT.htm"]ICE BLUE HEAVY ACTION TROUT SERIES[/url][/size][/font][/center] [left][font "Arial Rounded MT Bold"][size 4]I've fished with short rods for macks on the ice and have to respectfully disagree with Kent's logic. It's definitely a technique thing. I can catch just a many if not more fish with my short, stout rods and not have to deal with long rods with little eyes that are constantly freezing up. Here's a pic of one of my custom graphite ice mack rods. THey've caught plenty of macks and have the feel and hook setting ability needed to stick a mack thru the roof of his mouth.[/size][/font][/left] [center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2591;][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]42" IM8 graphite blanks, Fuji ceramic oversized eyes, with trigger grip.[/size][/font][/center] [center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2589;][/center] [center]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Notice the oversized Fuji eyelets. Never any freeze up.[/size][/font][/center] [center][/center] [center]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2590;][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Trigger grip. Notice the oversized foregrip to put pressure on large fish. Tuck the butt into you gut and apply all the pressure you need on larger fish.[/size][/font][/center] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]These rods may not be for everyone. The stiff rod allows for KILLER hook sets but being stiff they are not very forgiving and the great feel they provide can be felt at both end with equal senitivity but for me they do a fantasic job. [/size][/font][/left]
[signature]
Those look like the ticket -- definitely better than trying to keep my eyes from freezing up on my regular jigging rod. Using one of those rods will mean I am either fishing outside or by myself in my Shappell shelter. In the short run, it looks like I will be stuck with my regular jigging rod, unless someone knows a source for a similar assembled rod.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]You can't buy those rods but they can be custom built. They are made from cut down, MH action, St Croix blanks. I patterned them after the HT Ice Blue 44" rod but with better components and my own little improvements like the oversized foregrip. The eyes alone were over $36 a rod. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Kent, buy the 44" HT Ice Blue rod. They're about $16 and do a great job and can be found pretty easily. I used one for a couple years with good results before taking the leap to custom rods.[/size][/font]
[signature]
I use a 36 inch medium action graphite custom built ice rod with a stiff wire strike indicator on the tip. Its a pretty stiff rod with plenty of backbone for setting the hook and playing larger lake trout. I find it easier to use a shorter rod for a more direct hookset when ice fishing and I set the hook very hard( rip their lips off). I have a harder time getting a good hookset when using a longer more flexible rod. I guess everyone has their favorites.[Smile]
[signature]
Kent,

Don't listen to BLM. I have three of those Ice Blue rods and wouldn't give 5 bucks for them. Spend the cash and get good graphite rods. The BLM school of Mack fishing ain't cheap, but it'll save you money in the long run. You can have my IB rods if want, I've since up-graded.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]"Kent, buy the 44" HT Ice Blue rod. They're about $16 and do a great job and can be found pretty easily."[/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"]Anyone seen any locally?[/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]You listened? Do wonders never cease. I always thought you were the slow one in the back of the class playing with himself....[/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]BLM, I must say, I am glad Bait Caster posted his question. And I must also say that I am pretty impressed with the rods you pictured. I quite like the long handles and the long front corks too for the very reasons you described.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]HFT ... How much would it cost me to build one of these hotrods?[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Man ... see, this stuff is the very reason I have been trying hard to avoid ice fishing. I can't afford squat and here I am sceeming to spend some more money.[/size][/font]
[signature]
This past week I noticed a lot of people using short ice poles. Even more amazing was seening some of them catching fish. But nothing big. I personally don't think hooking a big one and getting it landed could be done with the conventional short ice pole. But I could be wrong. I also noticed by talking to a bunch of people on the rockpile and Gus's point most have no clue about BL. and are only there because of the ice. 99% of them had monfilament line and some were using ice flies. But all of them were having a good time and all had one thing in common as well as myself= hoping to catch a big one.
I have only seen the 34" IB heavy rods at Walmart !!!!!!!
[signature]