Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East canyon
Did just a little fishing while camping at east canyon 7/21-7/24. Only did about an hour a day and didn't do very well. Sunday caught my one and only fish and it was the smallest dink fish ever. Bass fishing is still kind of new to me. Tried bouncing all kinds of stuff on rocky banks and wasn't getting much love. Still having fun trying though.
[signature]
Thanks for the report.
[signature]
The shallows there are absolutely infested with those dinks. Toss out a worm under a bobber or any tiny jig and plastic and your line will feel like it has a tiny machine gun on the end of it. They're such expert bait stealers and nibblers that hooking one is a bit rare. But you'll feed a lot of them.

Larger bass are deeper now. Hard to find in numbers, though. If you have a craft of some kind, a drop-shot rig with a watermelon or craw-colored 5" worm will work.
[signature]
Thanks Rocky!! I usually float tube but have a tweaked knee right now which is keeping me from kicking myself around. Which is why I did such little fishing over the few days I was there.
[signature]
Like rocky says, deep! Try a slip bobber rig to get a jig way down there and still have control of it. Set the knot at 20' to start and search to depths of 50'. Use the slip bobber rig as your depth sounder. Set at 20', cast out, if the bobber does not swing upright, it's less than 20' deep there. Keep probing like that.

When you bring in line, think of what your line is doing...it goes out to the bobber, then straight down. Twitching the line will hop the jig, but not move it towards you to much. Don't be afraid to put it down and make another cast with a different rod, then twitch it so see if anything is waiting for it to try and escape.

Remember with this kind of rig at those depths, you will have to try and cross their eyes on the hook-set and reel as fast as you can to get a solid hook-up. I have gone to using circle hooks and rubber baits because there is no need for a hook-set, just reel fast and they hook themselves much of the time.
[signature]