Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
La Sal Elk SUCCESS
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]I had so much fun hunting elk with my bow on the La Sal mountains!!! I was able to take my family down for 4 days over Labor Day and we had a great time. We found elk but the rut hadn’t kicked in yet and we returned home with tag intact. I went back down alone on September 8th with plans to hunt til it ended on the 16th. It was as much fun as a guy could ever have. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]
[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]A good friend came down on late Friday night and spent Saturday hunting with me. We saw bulls and bucks but couldn’t close the deal. We did have a great evening hunt and almost called a bull into range til the wind switched and he blasted away. Close but no cigar! We went off the mountain Sunday and went to church in La Sal at the LDS branch there. I really enjoyed visiting with ranchers and timber guys and other who live there in the town of La Sal. Good folks for sure. Jack went home Sunday afternoon.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]
[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] Hunted hard alone Monday and covered 13 miles up a canyon and down another and then back around the mountain to my 4 wheeler. Tired feet but happy heart! Saw a sow and her 2 cubs at 20 yards. They scooted across the trail and kept going. Made me very happy to see their backsides and not momma coming to introduce herself.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]
[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] Tuesday brought a cold rainy morning and 2 bulls that would bugle but not commit to my seductive calling. Oh what fun though! Saw a bachelor band of bucks near timberline, 2 of which made me wish for a deer tag. The rain got steady and I decided to run into Moab and clean up a little. Squirrels were falling out of trees when I passed by so I thought a shower might help. Got back to camp at 1 and geared up in raingear for en evening adventure in the damp. I headed down the mountain thinking about what a friendly La Sal guy had said about hunting the oakbrush. But I had decided to go high again and chase the bulls I had chased that morning.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]
[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] The best laid plans….. I stopped my 4 wheeler down low to take a picture of Mount Peale with new snow on the top, and when I turned off my wheeler I heard an elk bugle. In The Oakbrush. Interesting! I took my pictures and he bugled again about ¾ of a mile away. I cow called some and kept glassing and finally spotted him in a little park with a cow. I parked the bike and headed his way. I played with him for an hour once getting as close as 12 yards. He was shredding an oak tree and I could just see a tiny piece of his hide as he rubbed his horns. NO SHOT!!! Then a calf walked out at 4 yards and saw me. Followed shortly by his momma and elk went everywhere. So much for stealth!! I followed them a bit but they weren’t buying what I had to sell, so I headed out after another bugle. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]
[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]By the time the night was done, 9 different bulls bugled at me or came in to my calling. AMAZING to say the least. I got a glimpse of a great bull with cows north of me but the wind was all wrong for a stalk. He was a gorgeous 340 class bull with ivory tipped, chocolate horns and the color of a palomino horse. I got 90 yards from him and had to let him and his band feed east so I could loop in behind them and try to get close enough for a shot. While I waited I was almost run over multiple times by a one horned 4 point bull. I swear he would sneak in and see or smell me and run off thinking to himself that I sure sounded like a cow elk, but looked like a man. He came back more times that I could count. Crazy little bull! [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]
[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Finally I worked to within 60 yards of the herd bull and his cows. I saw a good, muddy bull come out of a stockpond where he was rolling in the mud, and he was screaming his head off at the herd bull. He looked good too and I kept sneaking closer, silent, as the bulls were going crazy enough without my help.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]
[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] Then the sky opened up and what started as rain quickly turned into a dandy hail storm. The elk shut up and we all hunkered down in the oaks dodging little white marble sized hail. It quit almost as quickly as it started, and the bulls fired right back up. What I didn’t realize was that the herd bull and the muddy bull had did a little do-si-do during the storm and swapped places. I cowed called and the muddy 6 point came waltzing out of the oaks at 42 yards right in front of me. I only hesitated for a split second over whether to try for the herd bull, and then I clipped my release on my string and drew my bow. My 40 yard pin settled gently where I wanted it to be and I let out some of the breath I was holding and squeezed my release. PERFECTION! He was facing to the left, broadside and I hit him right behind the shoulder! He ran 10 yards favoring his right leg, because the broadhead had broken his right shoulder as it tried to exit. I quickly bugled and all the other bulls chimed in too and he stood there listening.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]
[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] I watched him for what felt like an hour waiting for him to tip over, but elk are so tough. With a broken shoulder and both lungs hit, he just stood there for 25 or 30 seconds. I couldn’t take it, so I slipped in quiet to 20 yards and shot him again through the right shoulder. He blasted out of the oaks for 30 yards and then piled up near the same pond he had wallowed in a few minutes before. I got to watch the whole thing, and I collapsed about the same time he did. I had trouble breathing and am not ashamed to say I shed more than a few tears. I knelt and said a quick prayer, thanking God for the mountains, my family and his creatures. I thanked that wonderful bull for his life and meat for our table. What an amazing animal and an experience I will always treasure and hold sacred.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]
[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] He is a beautiful, mud covered 6 point with a deep growly bugle. I guess his teeth to age him at 5. He may not be the biggest bull on the mountain but he is plenty big enough for this cowboy from the desert! [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]
[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]To be able to spend time on an unbelievably beautiful mountain, to have many close calls and see everything from ruffed grouse to bears, from great bulls to gorgeous high country bucks and to cap it off with a memory for my lifetime, is truly a privilege and a blessing. I will cherish this bull every time we cook a steak and each time I see his horns in my home.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]
[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] If ya happen to look west of an evening and you see a glow coming off the west desert, it is just my teeth shining as I keep smiling over what was an amazing and perfect hunt. Thanks for reading my epistle. Luck to ya’ll as you hunt and fish and enjoy the great outdoors.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]
[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[signature]
Congratulations on a great experience and getting an elk with a bow. [Smile]
[signature]
Nice job Bovineowner, congratulations on a great bull.

Wish I had of put in for the Vernon deer tag last year and took you up on your offer. I drew the bookcliffs and was very disappointed with the deer herd there. I shot my deer the last day at last light and it definitely wasn't what I was hoping for.

Mike
[signature]
Great story and a nice trophy. Congrats to you! Thanks for sharing.
[signature]
Congratulations buddy. I had a very similar experience with my muzzle loader bull a couple years ago. Elk hunting is always special to me but there's something a little extra special having the opportunity to interact with bulls every day on your own. I had to fortune of being able to hunt and match wits with the same herd every day for 5 days. Like you I didn't end up with the herd bull but took what was offered with a very similar bull to yours. To this day I still have no regrets. It was the greatest hunt of my life. 3 years later, I still get a little emotional most evenings when I'm sitting at my table and glance up at his European mount.

Congratulations my friend!
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
Congrats on your bull, glad you had a successful with fine memories to boot.
[signature]
Congrats on a trophy!
[signature]
Congrats! what an amazing hunt!
[signature]
Congrats. Great accomplishment.
[signature]
Congrats, nice story and bull.
[signature]
Well done! Fun to have family with you.