Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CJ Strike.
That's a good question. To me, the regs are not completely in line with what I've observed from others. Quoted from regs: All traps must have a tag attached bearing the owner’s name and address.

I always thought the name and address had to be attached to the trap, but I've seen where others have put their names on the buoy. Written on the buoy with marker technically isn't a "tag" and technically isn't on the "trap" but it is "attached". How a given fish cop would interpret is anybody's guess. I doubt most of the fish cops would say anything as long as your name and address are on their somewhere and as long as it is legible.

What I did is this: I went to Gramma Z's and had some dog tags made up with my name and address on them and I attach them directly to the trap. Cheap, easy, and durable. Then I mark on my buoy, "legal trap, do not disturb" in hopes of discouraging people from messing with my traps. My "buoys" are old duck decoys painted white, so I could see how someone might be curious and pull up my traps not realizing that is what they are doing....... So I try to clearly mark them.......
[signature]
For my traps I cut up a Dixie cup, wrote the required info, poke a hole in it and zip tied it to the inside of the trap. Cheap, and if it falls off its still in the trap. Granted I've never caught anything in them, I kind of figured as long as it's attached (whether direct or indirect) you can't get in trouble. When setting trap lines for fur, most the time the tag is on the chain.

As for perch, cut bait in the narrows picked up the bite over artificial baits. 33 kept, released another 20 under 11"
went to the trapping dept in cabella's and got the write on markers that are used to mark those traps not sure how long the wire will hold up with rust but working now. I also considered the plastic key fobs and some how marking them.
[signature]
Fished there this weekend and bass was biting pretty good. I wanted some crappie and didn't even get one.
[signature]
Had a great weekend at CJ. Caught a bunch of perch in about 50 ft of water near the intake for the power plant. All were good sized. We had to cut them in half to use as bait for sturgeon fishing. Caught 3 sturgeon over 7 feet. Tried out my new collapsible craw traps. Also had a round shaped homemade one. The homemade one did the best. However I only caught a dozen or so all together. Had problems with the traps moving due to the wind. Maybe I need to add some weight to them.
[signature]
10-4 on the adding weight. I add weight to all of mine.
[signature]