Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bass Pro Shops will acquire Cabela’s
http://news.morningstar.com/all/business...mbine.aspx
[signature]
Outstanding news!
[signature]
I hope you are right, but they will no longer be competitors and without the competition prices may increase.
[signature]
Valid point. I'm mostly happy that Bass Pro will be in Utah now for many reasons, some personal; so I'm very excited about this news. As far as competition goes, as with every market healthy competition is good for pricing for the consumer. I believe that the internet and global marketing helps to keep that level of competition reasonable despite them buying out their most direct competitor.
[signature]
I agre with kentofnsl, this will make them pretty much a monopoly and prices WILL increase. Also, lets hope that Bass Pro will keep the Cabela's quality up. In my experience with mainly hunting stuff (clothes, waders, etc), Cabelas had higher quality merchandise than Bass Pro, plus Cabelas stood by their product warranties. This will make Sportsman's Warehouse all that much more important in the scheme of thing for outdoor recreation, especially the consumptive side (fishing and hunting).
[signature]
Nah, Scheels, Sportsmans, Dick's, and others will provide more than enough incentive to keep prices low. And not to mention Amazon and other online sources. I'm not too worried.
[signature]
[quote downed_Phly]

Nah, Scheels... will provide more than enough incentive to keep prices low.

[/quote]

If you are relying on Scheels to help keep prices low I'm worried. It has been my experience that they are the most expensive place to purchase anything.
[signature]
My experiences have been the opposite of yours, Cabela's worst quality and customer service I have ever experienced. (dry-plus breathable waders, lucky to get one duck season out of them, no warranty on waders. I have got three seasons of use out of Rogers Sporting goods breathable waders for $180 a pair)

I have been into the Bass Pro in Vegas a couple of times. Customer service was non existent, couldn't find anyone to answer any questions for me.

Cabela's high prices will be raised to match Bass Pro prices.

Just my experiences and opinions, won't shop either one and haven't for several years.
[signature]
Bryce Lowder
I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to.
Scheels does Price match at the Checkout with very few questions asked but yes they are not the low cost store that we would like. Difficult for any storefront to beat online prices, Online competition might keep them all inline.
[signature]
Bass Pro is horrible. Overall Cabela's does a very good job. The guys in the Lehi fly shop are very helpful. I have seen these mergers before - might only be time before Cabela's goes into the toilet. We shall see.
[signature]
Both Bass Pro and Cabela's have gone through growing pains. Johnny Morris, the founder of Bass Pro started with a warehouse operation in Springfield Mo. and has grown it into a mega operation. Likewise, Cabela's started out in Kerney, Nebraska as a family operation and has grown into a mega operation. Over the years they have both acquired several big names in the Outdoor's field. Cabela's bought out Herter's one of the original mail order outfitters. Bass Pro has acquired Red Head and several other apparel companies over the years. Both have proprietary labels and brands and both are major players in the Hunting and Fishing retail business. I don't see Bass Pro making any major changes right off and I don't see them building a Bass Pro Shop here in Utah any time soon, with two Cabela's outlets here already. I could be wrong, but I don't see any major changes right away. Regarding prices, the margins in hunting and fishing are very slim. The profit is in clothing, camping gear, and accessories. Not much will change there, other than Cabela's name being put on some of Bass Pro's lines and vise a versa. It will be interesting.
I've been shopping with Cabelas over 40 years both online and in the stores and have never had a problem returning anything or getting something of poor quality replaced. I find the prices of both Cabelas and Bass Pro to be about the same. I will admit since Cabelas has stores in Utah I have shopped more online at Bass Pro for the more expensive items such as my new Minn-Kota bow mount I-pilot and new fishfinder that I installed on my boat this spring due to no sales tax and some free shipping incentives. I buy a lot of waterfowl gear especially shot gun shells at Rogers nobody else comes close to their prices with no tax and free shipping. I also buy a lot of gear especially ice fishing gear at Glen's Army, Navy for the same reason, I just ordered a new Eskimo insulated ice shanty from Glens...free shipping and no tax......There are lots of places out there to shop guys with good prices that beat Scheels and Dicks. [cool][cool]
[signature]
[quote Browntrout]Bass Pro is horrible. Overall Cabela's does a very good job. The guys in the Lehi fly shop are very helpful. I have seen these mergers before - might only be time before Cabela's goes into the toilet. We shall see.[/quote]

You need to shop the new Farmington store . Fly shop is terrible ,poor selection of fly tying materials, and non existent customer service.

There are no bargains at Cabelas. Recently bought a Simms fly vest in a small fly shop that was actually $30.00 dollars cheaper then Cabelas , you would think it would be cheaper at Cabelas with volume.I have to guess their overhead is out of control.
[signature]
I wouldn't worry to much about prices going up. I love going to Bass Pro Shops in Vegas mainly because of their prices and huge selection and that is the only shop really like that down there. They don't have much competition and they are always having huge sales. If prices go up then I will just continue to shop Sportsmans which I am happy with already.
[signature]
I shop Cabelas mostly online and I must say that I find Cabela's prices cheaper than Bass Pro. Cabelas also has better sales and promotions.

I'm not sure how this can be good.
[signature]
I find items at both. For one carries stuff the other doesn't.
[signature]
Not a big fan of Cabelas so this is great news! I work back east and down south and bass pro does a great job. I'm a sportsmans warehouse guy in UT and ID though.
[signature]
One question that comes to mind is. Will they still honor the Cabelas cash that people have built up over time?
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
[quote kentofnsl]I hope you are right, but they will no longer be competitors and without the competition prices may increase.[/quote]

Both of them are over priced now,,Walmart for me[Smile]
[signature]
[quote castnshoot]

Both of them are over priced now,,Walmart for me[Smile]

[/quote]

Agreed, but rarely does Walmart have what I need. Most of my purchases from Cabela's are using my credit card points. Most of my other purchases are from Sportsman's Warehouse.
[signature]