Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canada 2016
Made the pilgrimage once again and had a blast despite super warm weather conditions! Four days out of five, we shot our five man limit of canadas, three times it took less than an hour! Ducks were all but absent but the snows were everywhere! Drove just over 3000 miles door to door and spent 65 hours in the car over the week...long trip.

Enjoy![inline "20161107_071406 (Medium).jpg"]

[inline "20161108_112716 (Medium).jpg"]

[inline "20161108_114942 (Medium).jpg"]

[inline "20161108_115307 (Medium).jpg"]

[inline "20161111_070614 (Medium).jpg"]

[inline "20161111_113516 (Medium).jpg"]

[inline "20161111_142348 (Medium).jpg"]

[inline "20161114_081824 (Medium).jpg"]
[signature]
Awesome Pictures!!! Looks like a fun trip.

fnf[cool]
[signature]
Awesome the one goose look like a cackler
[signature]
What did a trip like this run you in the end?

How much public land vs knocking on doors did you do?

I saw a few videos on Youtube about Goose hunting in Canada and it looks like an amazing time.

Congrats on your success.
[signature]
Total trip door to door including licenses, gas, hotel, food and shells cost $800! I have a hard time convincing myself to do anything else for my fall man trip.

We hunt 100% private fields that are usually one friendly phone call away, there's just a very different mentality up there. Most people are happy you're chasing the birds off their property.

Here's a link to our footage from this year on my facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/matthew.garlick.96
[signature]
That's not too bad at all.

I'll have to put it on the bucket list now.

I would love to get a speck for the wall.

Congrats again.
[signature]
Its a pretty stellar trip for sure! If you're after Specs, Alberta is not the place to go. They stay more east into Saskatchewan and are earlier birds than what we were hunting, more September and October than November. That trip is on my list as well...
[signature]
Nice Job!

I would be open to any info you would be willing to share on this.
Canada Waterfowl is definitely on my bucket list.
Just don't even know where to start without hiring a guide (not my cup of tea).
[signature]
If you have the gear and know how to hunt geese in fields, it's not that hard.

I'd recommend low profile layout blinds and learn how to stuff them well, even in Canada the hide is very important.

I prefer running silos instead of full bodies. Less space in the truck and set up and take down is much quicker. 10 dozen is a good size.

Buy a platt map that shows land owners. Find any area with lots of water and agriculture, birds will be there. Once you find a good field (our criteria is 2,000+ birds), find the landowner on the platt map and then the local phone book. Nicely ask for permission and most of the time you'll get it.

The biggest thing is just to go up and try it out. You'll probably do OK for two days of a week trip, strike out twice and have an incredible day your first year. Your second year, you'll have a much better idea of where birds roost and how to hunt them up there.
[signature]
Thanks for the input.
I appreciate it.
[signature]