Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not a bad year for deer
I have not been on here in forever, and thought I would do a compiled post of my few hunts this year.

This was my first year doing the Dedicated Hunter Program, and was therefore a little bit more picky than usual.
Passed a couple decent bucks through the archery hunt. Also passed numerous cow elk, as I was holding out for a bull this year. I did get 2 opportunities, but did not work out.
Did not see anything worth thinking about during the muzzy hunt.
Rifle hunt came around, and the opening weekend was terrible. I had duck hunters about 200 yards or less away from me, and was not real great for deer hunting.
I did not have a whole lot of hope the second weekend, and was just ready to leave for my Wyoming hunt.
About 10 am on the Saturday before season closed, 10/29, I saw the buck I had been waiting for, and at 50 yards, that's all she wrote for him.
Did not even go up to him until I went back to camp, ate breakfast with my wife and son, and had them come with me to recover him.
My son was ecstatic, and still keeps asking me when it will be on the wall. This is going to be a long few months for him.

Shot buck 10/29, cut him up and packaged 10/30, and left that night for Wyoming.

Wyoming---

My dad shot a 22" 3x4 with eye guards opening morning. I glassed the buck up the day before season, and decided I would shoot him the 3rd day (because he does not fork well at all. Basically a big 2 point). Well, he came into a field my dad was sitting on at 20 yards with 32 does. Huge neck, in full rut, and my dad decided he was good enough.
I passed an 18-19" 4x4 mulie opening evening, as well as a small 6 and 8 point whitetail.
Saw 1 good whitetail at last light that evening, but could not get a good shoot with him moving through the brush along the river.
The next morning, I passed a buck I was dead set on shooting at first light. Was easily 24" tall, big 4 point. Then, he turned his head and was broke off on his left side about 8" above his head. Would have been a great buck next year. Also saw quite a few small bucks. I think 8 or 9 bucks that second morning.
I returned that evening, and another guy decided that he did not care that he was broke off, and he got shot.
Not much happened for a while after the guy shot 3 times at that buck.
Last 8 minutes of light, the place came alive.
There was 2 -4 points chasing does through the piles of dead Russian olive trees that are everywhere.
I saw the big one come through an opening, got set on the next opening and in the last minute of daylight, he stepped out and I shot.
Or so I thought. I see the buck I wanted to shoot about 50 feet behind that.
I shot the wrong buck, but was still a decent 3x4 with eye guards.

Back to Utah--

Trying to find a mature buck for my wife to fill her archery tag on the extended. Her first year hunting big game, and we did get her a shot on a pretty good 4 point, and she got to learn how a tiny bit of grass between you and the animal can make a TON of difference. Deflected off tall grass tips, and shot under him, right between his legs.
We ended up seeing 3 very good 4 points in 2 days, rutting hard. She was only comfortable out to 30 yards. Which was hard for me to sit there and have the heaviest buck stopped, broadside at 42 yards.
She is determined to be more confident at a little longer distances next year.
She can shoot well at 40 yards, but did not feel confident enough, which I think is awesome in the first year hunting, to have restraint to not wound an animal, even something bigger than I have ever shot.

All in all, and fun year of chasing critters.
Still have my archery elk tag, and a cow elk tag, but with the freezer full, we will let the critters live another year.

First 2 pictures are my Utah Buck.
Third picture is my dad and his Wyoming Buck.
Fourth picture is my Wyoming "Wrong Buck". Was too dark for field photos.
Fifth picture is the buck my wife shot at, and this was after the shot. Taunting her at 40-45 yards.
[signature]
It looks like you had a long and enjoyable season of hunting. Thanks for sharing.
[signature]
Thanks for the great report
.Very nice deer . Your wife and son have got to have the fever now. Good Job!!
[signature]