Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southeast region perch?
I'm looking to hit some reservoirs in the southeast region this winter. I'd love to target perch and crappie. In not very familiar with that area so any advice or locations for those target fish would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
[signature]
You might want to just look up the lake in the Preston area. I know several of those lakes have perch in them.
[signature]
Ririe Resivior has Perch also , and Robert's gravel pond , but the perch at Robert's are very small . America Falls Resivior has Perch at Sportsmans park .
[signature]
Montpelier reservoir has a lot of perch. Not big but easy to catch. Also have caught trout and kokanee there.
[signature]
Thanks for all of the info! I ended up hitting Weston and pretty good. Pulled a couple nice trout through the ice. No perch but still a great day
[signature]
The perch in Weston aren't as abundant as other lakes, but they sure are a lot healthier. I haven't caught a lot of perch there, since I usually target trout, but for me the best time to get those perch is early, early morning. I've had times where I can see them on the sonar, but can't even get a nibble after 8:30.

I do have a question for you. I'm actually going to either hit Weston or Deep Creek, this week, and was curious about the parking at Weston. Last year, they got slammed and you had to have major 4 wheel drive to park in that lot. Anyway curious about the parking.

Glad you were able to catch some nice trout. There aren't a lot of big ones in there, but last year ice fishing I landed a 22 incher.
[signature]
the parking at Westin wasn't too bad. We were able to get in and out of the parking area just fine and we were driving an s10. The roads we're pretty clear all the way through the canyon. unless we get a big storm you'll be just fine
[signature]
Honestly I am starting to wonder what the young perch population is like in Weston. With the numbers of bass in there and the tight size restrictions I'm starting to wonder how much of the perch are surviving long enough to get past the stage of being a meal. It seems if you do catch perch, they are all large. But nothing to show a healthy young population.
Several years in a row of low water in the spring hasn't helped either. Not a lot of good habitat for the fry to hide.
[signature]
I completely agree. I think it's[reply][/reply] hit all of the reservoirs really hard in that area. I'm surprised we haven't had any major winter kill off in them.
I'm curious how Winder ended the season. I never did make it up to see how it fared after some fall rains. I know another reservoir in the area came up a good 12' or more between the end of September and the beginning of November, so I'm hoping Winder and the others had similar results.
[signature]