Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport report 2/1/2004
Met up with BLM , Fish1on , and AFdan and son . Perch fishing was hot for me once we got in the deep water 45' . Got my limit too quick and had to try for trout after that . I fished the Genz Worm and a homemade jig today . It was great fishing with everyone . Biggest perch was 10" , ice was at least a foot thick . Fished straight out from the marina . Had a first this morning and seen a bobcat cross the road before I turned off to the marina . Would of got a pic because he stopped to look for a while , but my camera was in the sled in back of my truck . Little bit windy and cold on the ice but still nice to get out .
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I had a great time with Fish1on, HA69, and AFDan and his son! It was a bit cool and breezey. The "Mack Shack" was nice to be in with the heater going. Man, I was out of my element. Those perch are hard to hook! HA! HA69 had 10 perch on the ice before I could hook one but I got my limit....finally! [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Mine and Fish1on's limits are cleaned and the ceviche is soaking in lime juice as we speak. The fish tacos will be on the grill soon. You should smell this house with all the fresh onions, limes, cilantro and other good stuff being cut up for our meal. I think I'll go perch fishing again! HA![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Hey, Fish1on, 40 minutes to clean 40 fish. A minute a fish with the electric fillet knife! Our biggest was 9" and the smallest was 6".[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Thanks for the fun trip guys! I'll go with you all anytime! Come on up and fish my lake some time but HA69 has to give me a 45 minute head start![/size][/font]
[signature]
perch on bottom! use perch eeeeyyyeeee!!!!!!!!!!!1[sly][sly]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I used a perch eye. It worked. HA69 had a pair or forceps and could pop an eye out, intacted, in about 5 seconds.I always butchered about 4 or 5 before I get one I could put on a hook.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Perch eyes work pretty good. I used a couple on rockport when nothing was biting and got a perch.
[signature]
Nice report HA69, I guess the perch have moved into deep water. It sounds like you tried the shallow water first, did you catch any there?
That's cool seeing a bobcat, it's been years since I saw one. Were there a lot of people there today? WH2
[signature]
Actually it was my first hole I fished from out in the deep water . I was last on the ice after a slight screw up on shore with my jet sled attachment verses ATV . Lets just say I got tangled up good with my jet sled and ATV . Everyone else was on the ice in 30' water but when I showed up we moved out farther because no one had a bite yet in close . Not a lot of people , but it had its share . Not even close to the pics of the crowd on the ice at the BFT breakfast . It looked like the edges have been open some , but it was cold enough not to have a problem getting on the ice with ATV . I think if I would of let my ice hole freeze over it could of froze a inch while I was there . LOL Did see some deer , no bucks .
[signature]
I am not sure if I am still smiling because I had such a great time with you all or my face is still frozen!

First time fishing Rockport, so I set back quite a bit to observe the talents and condo setups of everyone and missed alot of hits! I started getting the hang of it when I kept my eyes on what I was doing.

BLM I cant thank you enough for all your generosity and great company, hope we can fish again soon. Hope your dinner turns out great, sounded like a meal fit for a king.

AFDAN Yeah Pat's!!!! We need to get together soon, its not like we live that far apart??

H69 it was great meeting you, you sure have the knack for getting those perch. Thanks for posting the pics, I will post the one and only that I took before my camera died.

Note to self, check batteries on finder and camera before going! I did get to mark some waypoints for the marina so I can include them in the Utah fishing holes board.
[signature]
Great report all, wish I could have made it.

Fish1on. It looks like I will be buying a GPS of some sort this week, so I will be able to start collecting waypoints for you and the Utah Fishin Holes Board. [Smile]
[signature]
[font "Arial"][red][size 2] Ok, guys guess it's my turn here. To start off My son and I had a great time on the ice with BLM, Fish1on, and HA69 at Rockport today. We finished the day with 12 Perch and 1 Trout. The Trout went back for another day. As someone already stated I'll fish with you guys anytime.My son and I were using Pink Ratso's with a glow head, and wax worms and Nightcrawlers. never did try the Perch meat. maybe next time. We had a good time anyway.[/size][/red][/font]

[font "Arial"][#ff0000][size 2] HA69 we saw those deer and there was 1 little 2-point with the group of Does we saw, they moved out of the way for us to pass and gauck at for a minute and then went about their business. We also spotted a fox in a field on the way up there this morning, man what a great day. [/size][/#ff0000][/font]

[font "Arial"][#ff0000][size 2] Fish1on you can bet we will hook up now that I know we are neighbors, By the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS:[/size][/#ff0000][/font]

[font "Arial"][red][size 5] 2-TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS[/size][/red][/font]

[font "Arial"][#ff0000][size 2] AFDan52 [/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
40 fish in 40 minutes, you are one filleting fool, that must be a record. I don't have a filleting knife but it sounds like I should buy one if it can make filleting that quick. The last time I filleted 30 perch it took almost two hours. WH2
[signature]
i think i'd had better give you guys some lessons i used to fillet fish for a living and at 25 cents a fish i could do about 30.00 an hour or 2 fish every minute i'm a little out of practice now but i could probably show you a couple of tricks
[signature]
I've witnessed Aquaman filleting fish. That guy knows what he is doing. I've seen him fillet a couple large wipers with my fillet knife that took 2 minutes per fish, he was showing me how to do it and he was'nt trying to hurry. If he wanted to he could fillet 2 fish every minute.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I'll take ANY tricks & tips I can get to make that job go faster. I sure like the electric fillet knife though. I know it's not what a professional would want to use but it makes pretty slick work of a lot of perch without much effort. [/size][/font]
[signature]
Hey, I was up there also we were straight across from you. That my shack farthest to the right in the BLM pic.WE were fishing in 50' of water. Almost all the perch we caught were in the 10" range. did catch 1 small bow and a 8" chub.
[signature]
Wow, it sounds like the deeper water is where the big perch are hanging out. Did you catch a lot of them and what were you using? WH2
PS. Were you fishing by the dam? The only shacks in the BLM photo were by the dam thats why I ask.
[signature]
It looks like that pic was shot straight out from the boat ramp. we parked by the first bathroom south of the dam. we did the best on hand tied chartruse sparkle jigs (from hooked) tipped with crawlers.
[signature]
Fishnpro40 , It was taken about noon . I not sure if it is Rocky point or Kent point in the background , but it wasn't the dam area in the background . Just so you know . You should of hooked up with us and shoot the "BREEZE" together .
[signature]
I went to Rockport also on Saturday with a friend. We caught 70 perch between the two of us in about 47 feet of water. What a great day. We kept 35 of the big ones and cooked them up last night. It was tasty.
[signature]
That picture of the damn says thin ice. Is that why only one person is fishing by the damn?
[signature]