Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Echo 12-29-16
Wiperslayer and I got out today and fished from 8am to 1pm. We were fishing in 30 to 40 FOW. Started getting aggressive bites right off the bat and it was steady until the sun came up over the hill, then it slowed down, by noon the bite had stopped. We had no problem catching fish with a variety of small jigs but for me the perch really liked TD's Fire Tiger jigs. For a while it was hard to keep two rods in the water, they seemed to come by in waves, toward the end of the morning. Lots of people out there today. We only keep the perch that were longer 8.5" and we caught a couple up to 10.5". We started off tipping with wax worms and when that bit slowed we started using perch strips. Not a bad day on the ice until the wind came up. Got to try out my new Nils auger with the battery powered drill and that was a sweet setup. Better bring your ice cleats, if you go and get there early.
WH2
[signature]
What did you observe as far as ice thickness and condition? BTW thanks for the report Smile
[signature]
Thanks for the report! I've never tried Echo but was just thinking about going there. Where's the best place to get on the ice, and how do I get there? Do you have any other advice for someone who's never been there?
Thank you for the report. I had heard it was slick there and was wondering if it had changed, but this confirms it. I think I'll put some studs in my boys boots before we head out Saturday.
[signature]
Ice was 7" and rough on the surface with no snow, so it is very slippery without cleats. The edges looked iffy but were solid, when we got on and off the ice. When we left we did notice a few small open water spots way out in the middle of the lake, not sure if that was because of a warm water spring or what the deal was but I would not venture out toward the middle of the lake. We did see at least one ATV out on the ice today. Hope that helps.
[signature]
There are several areas to access the lake on the North side along the road from the dam all the way to the end of the lake but most people like to park at the entrance to the resort and walk down through the gate and down the boat ramp. Thats where we got on the ice today but as I said, get there early or you might not find a place to park, especially on the weekend. No special advice I can give you other than the info in my report. You can easily see where people are parking and walking down, just follow the crowd. Good luck, if you go and by the way, we were not trying to catch trout but they were cruising by at mid depth so they should be easy to catch.
[signature]
We just buy those ice cleats that you can pull onto your boots, there are several different types but they are must, when the ice is that slick.
[signature]
I need to invest in some of those yak tracks for the slick times. Luckily I haven't had to use them much in the last couple years. We have a bunch of old hand me down snow boots so I threw some small sheet metal screws in them. See attached for some redneck studded snow tires. Git r done!
[signature]
Many thanks for the info. I'll give it a try this weekend. I'd like to get some yellow perch if possible, but trout are welcome as well.
I'm kind of hard core about cleats--I use heavy duty all-steel ice climbing crampons with 10 1.5" spikes plus a pair of spikes that point forward at the toe for when I need traction going up hills or for sprinting on ice. It's overkill but I've never had a problem with slipping under any conceivable winter condition. I originally got them for climbing mountains during winter, but they work great for ice fishing too.
Curt, thank you for the great report.
Never been to Echo and just have two questions: Is it easy to pull a sled down to the lake and how much is the entry fee?
[signature]
If you access Echo at the resort, pulling a sled down is a breeze. In fact, the sled might pull you down. It is a lot harder to get gear to the ice if you climb down the rocks near the dam. As always, pulling the sled back up will be much harder.
No entry fee is charged during the winter.
Three of us also had a great day yesterday. We parked in the turnout close to the dam and it was a crazy hike down from there carrying down gear. It was great fishing out there but great to know the perch are out from the ramp too.

We caught 1 nice 17 inch Cutt, 3 browns(the biggest was 18 in) and 10 bows which the biggest were around 17 in. Then I was wanting perch so I drilled some holes every ten yards and sent the camera down looking. At 40 ft I found a school.It is funny how those perch like to come over and greet the camera with a tap. I was able to land about 15 perch later morning and fishing with the camera. I had quite a few that came in stealth and sucked in my jig without causing any movement to the line or spring bobber. I would of had no clue that I was getting bites. Caught the first one with wax worm but switched over to eyeballs after that.

We had a feast last night. I like the perch fillets sautéed in butter and seasoned with cabelas tequila lime rub with a light sprinkle of tony chacheras creole seasoning. Soooo goood.

Then we made some sushi with a couple of trout. I cut the fillets into long strips and breaded them and fried them panko style an then throw in cucumber, pickled daikon,green pepper and avacado and roll them up.
Here is a pic.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Sounds like a decent haul. Glad the trinkets produced for ya. And that sled looks familiar.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks Pat. I tried the Hali imitation as well and it worked good early in the morning but once the sun came or the hill, they decided they did not like it as well and the smaller jigs started doing better. Thanks again for the deals on the shed and other items I bought from you Pat, that long rope really comes in handy.
[signature]
Those are some nice looking perch. Makes me hungry just seeing them. Did you make some tacos? Chowder mmmm! Nuggets? I'm going to have to get me some of that. Thanks for the report.
[signature]
No Tacos, Chowder or Nuggets this time, maybe if I get another batch of perch, I'll give it a try.
[signature]
NNice that sushi looks amazing. I've got to get fishing!

humpy
[signature]
Nicely done. I don't think I've ever fished Echo. Might have to give it a shot.

Larry
[signature]
Its worth giving it a try, especially during the week when the crowds aren't bad. I hope Rockport is good as well, with this coming cold weather next week, it should be good to go very soon.
[signature]