Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Echo report 1/1/17
We got to echo lake late in the morning and apparently missed the early perch bite. Started out in 40fow in front of the ramp. The wind was blowing and we were getting cold without a tent. We moved down close to the bank toward the dam to get out of the wind. Caught several trout about 10 ft down in 15-30 fow. About an hour before sunset moved out to 40 fow and the perch started biting on the bottom and the trout continued biting 5-10' down. The perch were mostly small, the biggest was 9.5 " but they averaged about 5". The trout averaged about 15 inches with the biggest at 18". Green crawfish jigs tipped with worm caught most of the trout and a yellow tungsten jig head with meal worm caught the perch. Turned out to be a beautiful day.

I have the the lowrance elite 4 with the iceducer. This is my second year using it and have really liked it. I also use it with my float tube. Most places I ice fish in Nevada I rarely am deeper than 20'. Yesterday at echo was the fist time I've used it past 40fow. I would lose my jigs around 30' on most drops. Is there a setting that I could change to improve that, or is that just part of not having a real flasher. I had it set at 200khz. Thanks for any information. Mac
[signature]
I have that fish finder set up also and have found that if turning up the sensitivity doesn't help then try to put on some bait is less dense. I have found that when using mealworms and wax worms at the same time on a double jig set up the wax worm makes a much better mark on the flasher. Since the jigs were the exact same the only difference that made any sense was that the wax worms have more air or something that sends back a better signal than the mealworms do in deeper water.

A lot of the time I can tell when I have lost my bait on a jig because it will get to where the only time that I can see the jig is when it is moving.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Increasing the sensitivity should work. Mine can detect a rat finkie at 50 ft.+ One other think is to check how straight your transducer is in the water. If mine is at an angle, the jig may not be in the detection cone. Usually this is an issue with shallower water, but I've seen it happen in deeper lakes like Strawberry as well if the transducer is not straight down from freezing ice or other reasons.
[signature]
Thanks for the replies. I don't know why I didn't think to adjust the sensitivity.
[signature]
Adjusting the sensitivity worked for me on mine, and I also have the iceducer. I like to put a Northland Buckshot spoon without the hook on it 8-12" above a small ice fly or ratfinkee to help the signal bounce back. Lightly jigging will also help my small jigs get picked up by my iceducer. Thanks for the report and good luck!
[signature]
Thanks for the tips.
[signature]
I believe your FF has a zoom feature. If it does, use it in that deep of water. You'll be amazed at how much more detailed 2x and especially 4x is when your on the bottom. I use split screen in that situation so I don't miss what's happening up high. I can get bottom separation at about 3" in 50'. When fishing is slow, mess with colorline, sensitivity, asp (surface noise) and power levels to get a feel how they react to each other. I have a elite 5 chirp and can always find my jigs if my transducer is right.
[signature]
I did play with that some. I really like the split screen. Thanks
[signature]
The zoom feature is very helpful! I have it on my MarCum LX-9 and it makes the part of the water column you're fishing big and bold and easy to see the slightest details at a glance while other selections are on the screen at the same time to show the whole water column and not miss near surface trout or suspended fish while you're focused on bottom fishing, etcetera.
[signature]
fished echo today in 40fow using an HDS 5 lowrance unit and was able to detect my ratfinkee right at the bottom. most of the time I was at 70% on sensitivity. just adjust in the sonar options menu. I kept mine on manual instead of auto sensitivity. Ended up catching around 40 perch in the 6-8" range and 1 14" bow
[signature]
Thanks for the report! I'm gonna take the wife and two kids up there tomorrow for some perch and rainbows. Last day off this week.
[signature]
I was up there today in 30' of water just off the boat ramp past the buoys. Only marked about 4 or 5 trout at 15-20' but was catching perch as fast as I could get my ratfinkee close to the bottom. Ice was about 8".
[signature]