Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Isn't anyone over 40?
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Okay let’s address this subject to those over 40 even if you won’t admit it. For those that haven’t hit this mile stone, you can go back to fishing for now. When one approaches this age you will find [not if] that your eyes have to strain to see the eye of the hook to thread your tippet. I wear a pair of photo gray bi-focal sun glasses when fishing. I also have a pair of polarized clip ons. Unfortunately my bi-focal are strong enough so in [/size][/green][/font][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]addition to wearing all that garbage I also use a pair of Orvis full lens magnifier clip on.[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]I know, I know that all that eye wear is a bit over the top. I’m planning to discuss my options with my optometrist when I see him tomorrow. There are numerous corrective devises available to today’s fisher person. e.g. Flip focal, MagEyes’ Hateyes, Fisherman Eyewear Solar Focus & Polar Focus etc. Some of these items clips to your hat will other to your glasses. Apparently they all have their positive & negative qualities. So what are you using to help see your hook’s eye that keeps getting smaller and smaller? Have you tried more that one brand/type in the past?[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font]
[signature]
DR,

Like you I wear progressive lensed photogrey glasses...thinking of looking into polarized clip ons after that discussion we had last week but not sure if that is too much in the way of sunglasses.. so like you will be talking to my optometrist on the next visit.. at the same time I would be very curious to hear what your dr has to say tomorrow.. may give me the right outlook (buzz words) to look for when talking to my optomitrist.. we will see..

macFly [cool]
[signature]
I wear the Cap clip ons if I wear a hat and the ones that clamp on sunglasses if I am not wearing a hat.
I do use glasses to read and tie and on smaller flies I use a table top magnifier.
[signature]
I'm over 40 and I still don't need glasses especially to tie my 8/0 shrimp flies. ha ha.[laugh]

I'm sure I would need some kind of assistance just to watch Flygoddess tying her #32s.[cool]
[signature]
don't brag to loud buddy...your time for wearing specs is around the corner.....LOL.....

seriously...count yourself lucky... it sucks when you have to admit you need glasses to see .....LOL

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I can always bump it up to a 16/0 hook and use regular yarn for thread. By then I will have to use ostrich feathers for hackle.[cool]
[signature]
[reply]
I can always bump it up to a 16/0 hook and use regular yarn for thread. By then I will have to use ostrich feathers for hackle.[cool] [/reply]

[sly] so that is your secret..work only with larger hooks and then you dont have to admit the need for glasses.. [laugh][laugh]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hi there macfly55 - Had my eyes examined and was advised that I do not need a new prescription at this time. Did ask my Ophthalmologist about including the polarized feature with a prescription. He said that it can be done. However, neglected to inquire if photograys could also be included. [/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Thank you for the feedback... I am due to go in soon so will try to ask.. but did do some checking on line and apparently.. if you have an extra 150 - 200 or so to drop you can buy bifocal sunglasses at orvis or ll bean... not sure that would be an option for me.. could also look at clip ons over my photo greys but afraid that would end up to dark.. so still checking my options...lol.. cause with these 50 + old eyes I need all the help I can get..

btw.. dont know if I told ya'll this.. but few weeks ago was on a dock in one of the local lakes.. was talking to a local guy who was telling me best spots to look at for fish.. and he said there was a bass nest less than 20 feet from me.. I said where.. so he showed me.. I saw it for a moment or too but then lost it in the sun and ripples on the water.. and never got a clean shot at it again.. I am figuring with the right glasses on I would of seen it clearer and easier.. and maybe gotten a decent sized LMB to brag about..lol

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Hey there mf55 - I don't think that a pair of polarized clip on's will make things too dark as your photograys will not turn dark [at least mine don't] since they are not being exposed to the full intensity of the sun.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
I was going to say the same thing as Dry Rod. The UV thing wouldn't be happening to your glasses with the polorized on, or at least it looks that way on paper.[cool]
[signature]
I may look into it a little deeper... I gots to be able to see the fish to fish them...lol...

MacFly
[signature]
As I remember from physics polarized sunglasses are designed to cut the light by half.
[signature]
Thank you all for your inputs.. Im thinking its time to check on clip ons.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
44 years the middle of june and I think I can still thread on a 32 without the glasses (Thats a fly not a beer Tn2) but I have a feeling i'm getting close or I'm just not getting enough sleep. or drinking to many 32's
[signature]
I never claimed to have perfect eyesight. I'm just glad that the saltwater flies are like normal streamers on Steroids.[cool]
[signature]
When you get back out here, I have a few 32s on the ice for ya.[cool]
[signature]
sounds good
[signature]
Wait to ya get the trifocal stage.
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Tri-foks don't work too well when sky diving. Your butt will find the ground before your eyes can adjust to where you're at.[Tongue] Oh yea fishing - bi's work okay particularily if they are photo-grays.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]