Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's your favorite rig for fisin' panfish?
Good Day to all us who love the tug and finesse of panfishin'. I have been invited to co-moderate on the panfish board and hope we all can learn how to improve or techniques and understanding of the art of panfishing together.

I love the fly rod with a pheasant tail bead head nymph for gills and usually use ultra light gear with a jig for perch and crappie, however I hope to improve that with more use of the slip bobber, this year[fishin]
[signature]
I will fish for them however i can but really enjoy fishing the flooded brush in the spring time.[cool]
[signature]
You didn't mark the poll[frown]
The brush piles do you dead stik them with more than one jig or how do you rig up?
[signature]
I'll fish em any way I can. Last year my girlfriend got a few cane poles and we used those. This year though, I've gotten a couple of new poles, light medium or medium, I'm not sure. The reels on them are only rated for 8lb. maximum, so I'm just gonna put 6lb on the one that didn't come pre-spooled, and use both of them for crappie.

I've never targeted crappie like this, so my rig may be off. So if this doesn't sound like an effective setup, then please correct me. I have a little jighead (Don't know how much it weighs, got it from a litle kit that my best friend had in his garage), and about 12-15" about the head I have a light little bobber. I have some little grubs and soft plastics that I'm gonna use on the jighead. Last year we had a chartreuse jig already set up, so we put it on the cane pole and the crappie were eating it up. soon as we'd get one off the hook and toss it back we'd go to the opposite side and a couple of seconds after we hit the water BOOM we'd have another. So that is my strategy for crappie fishing this year.
[signature]
I most certainly did. I am the only one who has voted so far.[Wink]
[signature]
My mistake[:p] I didn't push the view poll button[crazy] Are you sure that you really want me as you co-mod[:/]

Till my next mistake[fishin]
[signature]
For crappie I like to jig with an ultra-lite or use a bobber & jig if I have a certain depth in mind.

If you know the depth you want to fish, set the depth with the bobber, toss it out and retreive. Easy as pie!

I never really fished for crappie with a fly rod. A pheasant tail nymph for blue gill eh? One of my favorite trout flies!
[signature]
No worries, it is a learning adventure. You will get the hang of it soon enough.[cool]
[signature]
I wade out to the brush lines and fish single tubes or curley tails in the open areas of the brush. I will use bobbers if i have a good channel to cast through or just take it off and finesse the jig across the bottom. It depends on what they want that day. [Wink]
[signature]
[fishin] I'm new to sweatwater fishing was a long time surf fiswherman. I'm going to try using i.5 inch tube with 1/16 jigs. Any surgestions? fisherman1949
[signature]
I would try pink/black, chartreuse/pink, chartreuse/black, and plain old chartresue. Those colors seem to work best for me.[Wink]
[signature]
Chartreuse works very well for me as well. the crappie round here were eating em up. [Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
There is nothing like taking a 2 or 3 weight fly rod in the spring and twitching a sponge spider under the branches of a bush in shallow water while the bluegill are on their beds. My family takes a two or three day bluegill vacation every year.

Each of my boys gets a 6' 3weight for their birthday when they turn five. This spring three of them will be slapping the water and realling in the gills.

If the gills are not taking topwater we go with a simple nymph to tie called a tex favorite. It is very simple and the gills suck it up. In fact I caught a gill that came within two ounces of the Idaho State record. That was about fifteen years ago from Condie.

Windriver
[signature]
I've been looking on the web for the tex favorite nymph and can't seem to come up with it, do you have a picture by chance?[fishin]
[signature]
I have some tied up. I will take a picture when I get a chance. It is an old Marv Taylor pattern. He died a cou[le of years ago if I remember right.

Windriver
[signature]
I Have A Reel Thats Desined For Six Pound Line An Spool It With Fore It Holds Fore Jame Up Thay All Dont Yet Some Do Theres Alota Reasions For This Its On A Cheep Rod But Hey It Has The Right Feal An It Has Landed Many A Carp An Serveral Large BassThe Extra Line Allways Comes In Handy, For Bluegile I Use Only A Hook No Lead No Cork Break Me Of A Small Pice Of Worm An Watch My Line I Can Cast A Small Pice Of Nightcrawler A Very Long WayAn The Slow Decent Will Sikeum Out Every Time For Crappy Its A 1/32nd Fly Bite The Feathers Off Jus Behind The Hook Ya Boy Dont Dare Use Lead It Will Destroy The Acthion Of ure Doll Fly An There Is To Many Ways To Work It To Go Thrue In Swefter Water I Will Go To A Larger Fly Still Biten Off The Feathers But Normaley Larger Flys Work Better On Heaver Line They Fall To Fast On 4 lb Line Till Next Time Hope Ya Findum Fishum Felayum Fryum An Fergetum Till Sunrise Ure Friend Froger
[signature]
i use a wonderpole by shakespeare and for bait i like meal worms.[fishin]
[signature]
I have found that when the Crappie are up pre-staging for the spawn, in water from 6-8 ft., that a slow rolled roadrunner with a 2 inch Berkley power grub is extremely productive. I recently had success(last week in March) using that same power grub, in a melon-pepper, rigged on a chartreuse colored 1/16th ounce lead head jig, fished on a 12 Ft. B&M jigging pole around a couple of beaver huts I had located. The secret was, easing up to the hut with the trolling motor on low, as not to spook the fish, then gently lowering the jig in the branches of the hut. We caught well over 70 fish, culling out to 46 keepers between two fishermen. The water temperature was 52-54 degrees, an overcast day, and the fish were holding in about 4-7 ft. of water.
[signature]
i use fly rod and small sinking fly on beds ..sometimes ill full the fly behind a clear bobber..thell hit anything on the beds...summer time ill drift deeper watter with i pole over the side of the boat and one pole with bobber trailing behind the boat..ill usualy run red worms and wax worms on small gold hook..peices of crawler can be just the thing sometimes for the bigones...i do well wind drifting the deeper parts of the lake..
[signature]