Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cold Cooperative Cats with Justin, UT Lake 5 15 2024
Just when I thought I’d see warmer water, it actually got colder. OK, it was only one and a half degrees colder than last week, but 50.5 degrees in mid-May, wow.

This weekend I got to fish with Mooseman75. We met at the Lincoln ramp at 6 A.M.  I failed to find a white bass at the ramp and the full length of the channel, but just inside the jaws I got hung up and when I got it loose there was a 5” bullhead clinging to the 3rd hook. Then just outside a WB volunteered for bait duty. This one was the best of the season at 12 inches and looked to be post spawn.

[Image: Bullhead-5.avif]

[Image: WB-12.avif]

With the colder water, we decided to go right to the deeper water and headed north out of the harbor. Just before we hit 12 FOW my back rod went down and we got our first cat, a two-footer on a trout sized fire tiger SnG. In fact, it was one I used for trout 6 weeks ago, only now it had a heavier leader and one size larger hook.

We did large S turns from 12 to 9 FOW, and I got another cat and 2 more whites in the next hour. Certainly not red hot, but good fishing for water that cold. It looked like the cats were again voting for small baits and attractors. So, Justin traded his larger rig for a standard size wobble glo FLAIT.

About that time, I started to feel like I was being a bad host and my back rod hooked up with a good cat. It turned out to be 28 ½ and just 10 pounds.

[Image: 10.jpg]

“I don’t get it, Justin, same bait and similar size baits on one rod and they all come on my side of the boat?” Justin asked if I had any more of those small SnG’s. I gave him one and he traded it for a larger rig on his back rod.
15 minutes later Justin’s deep rod went bendo and he got a 28 1/2. “Good thing I switched for that FLAIT,” said Justin.
And just like someone had flipped a switch, everything switched to the other side of the boat. Justin caught cat after cat, mostly on the fire tiger SnG. He got 3 cats over 10 pounds including a 29 that was a little over 11.
By the end of the trip Just had 6 cats and I had 4. What a welcome turnaround!

[Image: Justin-s-First.jpg]

[Image: 29.jpg]

It was never fast, although at one point we had 3 on at once. It was a fun morning and there were plenty of tugs for both of us.
When we quit about 1 P.M. the water had warmed to almost 56 degrees. I know it will get warmer and I can’t wait!
Way to go Jim and Justin, sounds like a great trip... Glad they cooperated and gave you some fun... Congrats.. Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Thanks again Jim. One of the best days I've had in a while. Not only did I get 3 good sized cats on the board but learned a ton of valuable information. I just hope I can remember 1/2. But I had a blast the whole day not only catching but meeting for the first little bit. I also thank you for figuring out for boat issues. I'm grateful for the whole day all around so shot out to Jim as a great captain and host....