Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Booby fly
...what company is this.. I went to my local fly shop and could not find any.. Im guessing or have seen they start at 1/4" and go up.. any idea where to get the foam??

MacFly
[signature]
[center][font "Pristina"][green][size 4][cool]Wapsi make these foam tubes.[/size][/green][/font][/center] [center][/center] [center][font "Pristina"][#008000][size 4][/size][/#008000][/font][/center] [center][/center]
[center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=33090;][/center] [center] [/center] [center][url "http://www.wapsifly.com/index.html"]http://www.wapsifly.com/index.html[/url]
[/center]
[signature]
... any idea what sizes would be needed for the booby.. I found several recipes but only one gave a size of "medium"...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[cool][font "Pristina"][green][size 4]The smallest diameter of a ¼" appears to be to be about the right size. I think that one would have to practice with some different size tubes. i.e. Hook size will have a bearing on what size tubing one would use. One of 3/16 might be the right size on a # 10 or 12. This only a guess on my part. Here is a site that shows you how to make your own plugs tubes. I play around tomorrow and see how the site's suggestion works out.[/size][/green][/font]

[url "http://www.flyfishersrepublic.com/tying/booby-eyes-plug/"]http://www.flyfishersrepublic.com/tying/booby-eyes-plug/[/url]
[signature]
..I saw that site before when I was searching for recipes.. I also found a coulple of sites that sold the foam in blocks where tubes like this would work.. on one of the sites they also had tools to cut your own cylinders of foam from a block.. those were 25.00 for each size.. [Tongue] also saw that your favoite fly material shop had foam cylinders but each tube was only about 1.5 inches long... Ill wait and see how your experiments go ... maybe you can post some pictures with your "report"...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Pristina"][#008000][size 4][cool]Found some foam [in my garage] about 3/8" thick and was able to punch out a ¼" plug. Used a cigar cutting tube. While the foam is too porus for the purpose intended, the test was successful. I would guess that a Michaels or JoAnns might stock foam tubing. The tubes by Wapsi shown at Bob Marriotts are 6@ $1.50. Since each tube would make 3 eyes that would be about 8¢ / copy. Now you have something to do on these rainy days.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
[font "Pristina"][green][size 4][cool]Rainy's is another company that produces dense foam tubing.Here is a their discription: "Just cut to length for body material. Small size is 1/8" diameter, medium is 3/16" and large is 1/4". Length 24", 4 colors". Note that the medium is 3/16".[/size][/green][/font]
[center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=33102;][/center]
[signature]
...Ill have to check those places .. if not Marriotts or basspro has them.. figure a couple of colors in a couple mid range size would work.. unless anyone else has input on sizes to have and colors to use.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Macfly, for a Boobie, the Bigger the Better. From Dry Rods Picture of the foam, I use the WHITE up front and the YELLOW in the back left, but, white is a color of choice.
You want a short hook, but I am thinking in a size 12 to 6.
I am not up on Hooks to give you a particular brand or number, maybe DR has some reference.
[signature]
[black][size 3]" for a Boobie, the Bigger the Better. "[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I can't believe you said that![shocked][/size][/black]
[signature]
You been hanging out at that other place too much...FAMILY SITE[laugh]
Plus that is what I told my Plastic Surgeon and he understood[Wink]
[signature]
You crack me up Sis. I won't argue with you.

I just have to go out and look for some bigger flies![cool]
[signature]
...dare I say it.. are you looking for bigger flies or.. bigger.. well ya'll know what I mean.. [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
...so you are saying that the eyes are not in proportion with the rest of the fly?? or to put another way.. they are bigger than what would actually be.. heheh

btw.. I like your doctors way of thinking.. just not toooooooooooo out of proportion..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[cool][cool][font "Pristina"][#008000][size 4]I am prone to using Daiichi hooks. A # 1710 2XL hook would appear to work well for the booby. Also a #1560. Not Boobie mi amigo Steverino. LOL [Wink] I just ordered some goodies from JS Stockard. Hooks are about $1.00 cheaper /pack and considering that we Calis don't have to pay the 7.75% tax and add the free shipping makes it worth while. I have ordered from this company in the past and have received my order within a week. Oh yea the gasoline would cost me about $5.½ to drive on over to BM's. I figured that I saved over $15 by ordering on-line.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
[font "Pristina"][size 4][cool][green]You have got that right about the size of the eyes. Like a bit larger than the gap. BTW I had some ¼" flat foam from which I cut a ¼ strip. I rounded off the corners to give it a more rounded look. BTW I don't think that a fishy would say "no I just don't like the looks of that bug' eyes so I will pass on it for a meal". Yea lol.[Wink][/green][/size][/font]
[signature]
[size 4]"[#008000]7.75% tax"[/#008000][/size]
[#008000][size 4][/size][/#008000]
[black][size 4]I would consider yourself lucky. LA County tax is 8.5%. That would almost pay for my gas just to get there with the difference.[cool][/size][/black]
[signature]
...Id thought about that but was not sure.. can always use that as a backup... gonna still check at those places and if that does not work I will make an order to one of the big guys.. [Smile] I still have to make an order to Cabellas and lunkercity for some jigheads and plastics etc..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Pristina"][green][size 4][cool]Hey there MacFly check out this on-line fly materials supplier:[/size][/green][/font] [center][url "http://www.jsflyfishing.com/"]http://www.jsflyfishing.com/[/url][/center]
[signature]
... so many choices.. [Tongue] but that is what makes things fun...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]